India and ADB
In the Spotlight
The service sector has been a driver of the Indian economy but the country needs to expand its manufacturing base – through initiatives like Make in India and the development of economic corridors – if it hopes to reach the next level of growth, according to the Asian Development Bank report, Scaling New Heights: Vizag-Chennai Industrial Corridor, India’s First Coastal Corridor.
As economies slow in much of Asia, India bucks the trend, powering growth in South Asia.
India's first coastal economic corridor can help unify the country's domestic market, integrate its economy with Asia's global value chains, and support the Made in India initiative to spur manufacturing.
ADB supports India’s vision of faster, inclusive, and sustainable growth. The latest Development Effectiveness Brief captures the core of ADB's operations in India and showcases select interventions that are helping the government achieve its development goals.
ADB assistance supports the Government of India’s evolving priorities. ADB’s country partnership strategy, 2013-2017 for India aims to support the government’s Twelfth Five-Year Plan priorities of “faster, more inclusive, and sustainable growth.” In line with the government’s guiding principle that multilateral development partners add value beyond tangible investments, ADB builds in innovations and best practices in project design and implementation.
Projects in India
- Strengthening Climate Change Resilience in Urban India - Strengthening Smart Water Management and Urban Climate Change Resilience in Tamil Nadu (Subproject 1)
- Bihar New Ganga Bridge Project
- Climate Adaptation in Vennar Subbasin in Cauvery Delta Project
- Uttar Pradesh Major District Roads Improvement Project
- Mytrah Wind and Solar Power Development Project
- Support to Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries
- Advanced Project Preparedness for Poverty Reduction - Project Preparation and Implementation Support for Odisha Power Sector Emergency Assistance (Subproject 31)
- Madhya Pradesh District Connectivity Sector Project
- Supporting Additional Skill Acquisition Program in Kerala
- National Green Energy Corridor Investment Project