Kyrgyz Republic and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB's work in the the Kyrgyz Republic over the period 2016-2018 will focus on priority areas including public sector management for private sector development, transport and logistics, the energy sector, education and training, and water supply and sanitation.
As a connecting link between Europe and East Asia, Central Asia is set to reap the benefits of burgeoning trade between the two economic giants.
ADB has approved a $10 million loan to help Bai Tushum Bank (BTB) provide critically needed medium- and long-term funding to micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSMEs) in the Kyrgyz Republic.
This development effectiveness brief presents how ADB's operations in the Kyrgyz Republic help improve people's lives in the country and the challenges ADB and the country face in pursuing agreed development goals.
The ADB country partnership strategy (CPS), 2013-2017 supports the objectives of the Kyrgyz Republic’s National Sustainable Development Strategy, 2013-2017. The overarching goal of both strategies is to reduce poverty through inclusive economic growth. The CPS aims to remove key constraints to growth and expand access to economic opportunities. By helping to reform legal and regulatory frameworks, ADB seeks to improve the Kyrgyz Republic’s business environment, while ensuring that affordable finance is available to all, the reliability of electricity services is improved, and people become more employable. Regional connectivity must be maintained and enhanced, just as gaps in infrastructure between regions need to be closed.
Projects in Kyrgyz Republic
- Accession to the Eurasian Economic Union—Capturing the Opportunities and Addressing the Risks
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 1 and 3 Connector Road Project Design Advance
- Senior Unsecured Loan to Bai Tushum Bank for Broadening Access to Finance
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation Corridors 1 and 3 Connector Road Project
- Strengthening Government Capacity for Managing Development Projects
- Second Investment Climate Improvement Program (Subprogram 1)
- Grant 0153/Loan 2533-KGZ: CAREC Transport Corridor I (Bishkek-Torugart Road) Project 2
- Strengthening the Education System Sector Development Program
- Support for Strategic Assessment of the Kyrgyz Economy to Promote Inclusive Growth
- Investment Climate Improvement Program - Subprogram 3