Lao People's Democratic Republic and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB and the Government of Lao People’s Democratic Republic (Lao PDR) have signed a $23 million loan agreement for subprogram 1 of the Health Sector Governance Program to improve delivery of health services, particularly for the poor, women and children.
Cooperation in the Greater Mekong Subregion is helping countries in the area make progress towards the new global Sustainable Development Goals.
Cloud-based software is used to facilitate paper-free trade in coffee exports to Europe by the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, saving time and money.
Government ministers and senior officials attending the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) Seventh Economic Corridors Forum agreed on measures to promote the development of economic corridors, facilitate cross-border transport and trade, and enhance cooperation and private sector participation.
The economy of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic continues to grow vigorously. An investment boom, based on natural resources and fueled by mining and exports of hydropower, has seen gross national income double since 2006. Economic growth moderated in 2014, but is still buoyant, supported by external demand and foreign direct investment. Annual average headline inflation dropped substantially in 2014, due to reduced domestic demand and a sharp decline in global oil prices. Yet the Lao PDR remains highly vulnerable to external economic shocks.
ADB assistance in the Lao PDR is consistent with the rapidly evolving development needs of a lower middle-income country.
Projects in Lao People's Democratic Republic
- Health Sector Governance
- Strengthening Urban Water Supply Regulation
- Vientiane Sustainable Urban Transport Project
- Lao People's Democratic Republic: Northern Greater Mekong Subregion Transport Network Improvement Project
- Second Private Sector and Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises Development Program - Subprogram 2
- Smallholder Development Project (Additional Financing)
- Nam Ngum River Basin Development Sector Project (Additional Financing)
- Governance and Capacity Development in Public Sector Management Program - Subprogram 2
- Capacity Enhancement for Coping with Climate Change
- Strengthening National Commission for Advancement of Women Network in the Ministry of Public Works and Transport