Myanmar and ADB
In the Spotlight
Myanmar is undergoing a transport renaissance with new highways, railways, river and urban transport systems being built. Leaders and communities are working to develop the most efficient systems that drive the economy with the least harm to the environment.
ADB President Takehiko Nakao met with Myanmar’s President U Htin Kyaw and State Counsellor and Minister of Foreign Affairs Daw Aung San Suu Kyi to discuss Myanmar’s development prospects, macroeconomic and structural priorities, and ADB’s support to the new administration.
In Myanmar, the lack of skilled workers at all levels is one of the challenges the growing economy faces. ADB is providing assistance to give the country's youth the training they need to find productive employment.
After decades of isolation, the Southeast Asian nation of Myanmar is roaring ahead with the fasting growing economy in Asia in 2016, according to the Asian Development Bank’s Asian Development Outlook 2016.
Emerging from decades of economic and political isolation, Myanmar is striving for inclusive economic growth and poverty reduction. The country has strong potential for broad economic expansion, possessing abundant natural resources, a strategic location at the crossroads of Asia, a young population, and a sizable market with wide-ranging investment opportunities. Successful national elections, held in November 2015, represented an important milestone in Myanmar’s transition.
ADB operations in Myanmar are based on an interim country partnership strategy 2012-2016, which focuses on building human resources and capacity, creating an enabling economic environment, and expanding access and connectivity.
Read the ADB and Myanmar fact sheet.
Projects in Myanmar
- Emergency Support for Chin State Livelihoods Restoration Project
- Capacity Development for Project Implementation
- Economic Empowerment of the Poor and Women in the East-West Economic Corridor
- Strengthening Law, Regulation, and the Legal Profession for a Better Investment Climate
- Myingyan Natural Gas Power Project
- Design of e-Governance Master Plan and Review of Information and Communication Technology Capacity in Academic Institutions.
- Support for Myanmar's Reforms for Inclusive Growth
- Strengthening Civil Society Participation in ADB-Financed Operations
- Capacity Building Support for Project Identification
- Financial Management Assessment of Energy Sector