People's Republic of China and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB raised its growth forecast for developing Asia. Regional GDP is expected to expand 5.9% in 2017 and 5.8% in 2018 on a recovery in global trade and strong growth in major industrial economies.
After recent growth moderation, an increase in net exports and domestic consumption has improved growth prospects in the People’s Republic of China. The world’s second largest economy is now expected to expand by 6.7% in 2017 and 6.4% in 2018. Read the report
This publication shares 20 case stories bearing practical knowledge and lessons for transport projects across Asia and the Pacific region under different socioeconomic and political situations.
Approved in May 2000, the Suzhou Creek Rehabilitation Project was implemented to address the pollution suffered by the creek through the years. The creek is now a green artery and no longer a health hazard to the 3 million people who live on its banks.
Following 3 decades of rapid economic growth, the People's Republic of China (PRC) is now an upper middle-income country. The country is transforming to a new growth model that emphasizes quality and sustainability, supported by innovation. Addressing climate change-related concerns is also recognized as high priority.
Development challenges include implementing fiscal reforms, improving social protection systems, and reforming state-owned enterprises. Cornerstones of reform are to improve the range, quality, and availability of financial services; protect the environment; tackle regional disparities; address pockets of extreme poverty; and allow the market to determine resource allocation.
ADB is focusing its support on innovation and value addition in infrastructure, while promoting good governance and capacity development, knowledge solutions, private sector development, and gender equity.
The PRC is a member of the Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC) Program and Greater Mekong Subregion.
Projects in the People's Republic of China
- Yuxi-Mohan Subregional Railway Link Project
- Chongqing Longxi River Environment Comprehensive Treatment and Ecological Protection Demonstration
- Sichuan Ziyang Green Transformation and Development Project
- Qingdao Rural Waste-to-Energy Project
- Xinjiang Hetian Comprehensive Urban Development and Environmental Improvement
- Heilongjiang Green Urban and Economic Revitalization Project
- Research to Support the Social Integration of Migrants
- Strengthening Liability Insurance and Improving Social Governance in Neijiang City
- Shandong Spring City Green Modern Trolley Bus Demonstration Project
- Reforming the System of Personal Income Tax and Social Security Contributions
- Shandong Spring City Green Modern Trolley Bus Demonstration
- Guangxi Modern Technical and Vocational Education and Training Development Program
- Guizhou High Efficiency Water Utilization Demonstration in Rocky Desertification Area
- Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei Air Quality Improvement-Hebei Policy Reforms Program
- Policy Study on the Development of Intercity Railway in the Beijing–Tianjin–Hebei Region
Average annual population growth rate in the People's Republic of China (2011-2016)
Population in the People's Republic of China, in millions (2016)
Maternal mortality ratio in the People's Republic of China, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Population living below the national rural poverty line in the People's Republic of China (2015; refers to only part of the country)