Solomon Islands and ADB
In the Spotlight
Continuing Reforms to Stimulate Private Sector Investment: A Private Sector Assessment for Solomon Islands
While fundamental reforms have modernized the environment for doing business in the Solomon Islands, more needs to be done to improve the quality of the country’s investment climate.
Digital financial services (DFS) are effective means of enhancing financial inclusion in the Pacific but major challenges, including the establishment of reliable agent networks and the building of sufficient consumer trust still need to be addressed throughout the region.
A new Asian Development Bank report says Pacific economies face lower growth and tighter fiscal conditions this year due to low commodity prices and severe cyclones.
This country gender assessment analyzes the progress of Solomon Islands toward achieving gender quality across different social, economic, and political spheres.
Solomon Islands covers about 28,000 square kilometers of Melanesia. Around 85% of the population of 528,000 lives in widely dispersed villages of just a few hundred people each.
A key development challenge for the government is controlling recurrent expenditure amid modest growth in revenues. The economy is based on primary commodities, and alternative opportunities to generate income are scarce. Economic growth prospects rest on the private sector and on developments in mining, agriculture, and fishing, with some potential for tourism.
ADB’s focus on energy, information and communication technology, private sector development, public sector management, and transport remains relevant in the context of government priorities and the support provided by other development partners
Projects in Solomon Islands
- Strengthening Solomon Islands' Maritime Safety and Establishing the Solomon Islands Maritime Safety Authority
- Economic Growth and Fiscal Reform Program
- Sustainable Transport Infrastructure Improvement Program
- Solar Power Development Project
- Strengthening the Implementation of the National Development Strategy
- Solomon Islands Flood Disaster Response Project
- Economic and Financial Reform Program
- Strengthening Country Safeguard Systems in the Transport Sector
- Provincial Renewable Energy Project (formerly Outer Island Renewable Energy Project)
- Supporting the Implementation of the National Development Strategy
Maternal mortality ratio in Solomon Islands, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Population in Solomon Islands, in millions (2015)
Average annual population growth rate in Solomon Islands (2010-2015)
Population living below the national poverty line in Solomon Islands (Before 2010)Refers to preliminary/interim figures; or refers to periods before 2010.