Viet Nam and ADB
In the Spotlight
Faster Gross Domestic Product growth in Viet Nam, at 6.3% in the first half over the same period in 2014, was driven by strong expansion in manufacturing, construction, and mining.
This country report assesses Viet Nam’s experience in reforming its power sector for insights that other Asian developing economies could find useful when pursuing their own power sector planning and policy and strategy formulation.
From the roadside cafes to the upscale resorts, a journey down Viet Nam’s longest highway illustrates the widespread impact of a single new road.
Doctors on motorbikes travel to a remote clinic in Viet Nam's mountainous Quang Tri province to provide services to those who have difficultly accessing health care.
In recent years, Viet Nam’s economic growth has slowed, and single-digit inflation has prevailed. Tight economic policies have helped stabilize the fiscal deficit, and generate a current account surplus. Viet Nam needs to accelerate economic restructuring, particularly reforms in the banking sector and to state-owned enterprises. Despite remarkable achievements in reducing poverty, serious development challenges are posed by income and non-income inequality and pockets of poverty, particularly among ethnic minorities.
Under the country partnership strategy, 2012-2015, ADB supports Viet Nam’s socioeconomic development across a range of sectors. Resources are committed to the financing of infrastructure and human resource development, rural development, social inclusion, and gender equity.
Projects in Viet Nam
- Support for the Preparation and Implementation of the Results-Based Socioeconomic Development Plan, 2011-2015
- Improving Competitiveness Program
- Integrated Rural Development Sector Project in the Central Province - Additional Financing
- Integrated Rural Development Sector Project in the Central Provinces
- Health Care in the South Central Coast Region Project
- Increasing the Efficiency of the National Power Transmission Corporation through Targeted Capacity Building
- Ha Noi and Ho Chi Minh City Power Grid Development Sector Project
- Supporting Project Financial Management Decentralization (Phase 3)
- Support to Improve Portfolio Performance and Aid Effectiveness
- Enhancing Financial Stability (Scoping)