Viet Nam and ADB
In the Spotlight
ADB's portfolio in Viet Nam comprises loans and grants in transport, energy, urban development and water supply. In addition, ADB supports Viet Nam with projects in agriculture and rural development, health and education, as well as public sector governance and finance.
ADB Investment Specialist Santosh Pokharel talks about the support ADB's Trade Finance Program is providing in Viet Nam.
Viet Nam has made significant progress in developing proactive disaster risk management policies and mainstreaming those policies into national, social, and economic development priorities.
Viet Nam has a remarkable record of reducing poverty. Since the 1990s, about 43 million people in Viet Nam have risen out of poverty. Despite the successes, challenges remain. Poverty varies significantly across regions and is highest among ethnic minorities.
In recent years, Viet Nam’s economic growth has slowed, and single-digit inflation has prevailed. Tight economic policies have helped stabilize the fiscal deficit, and generate a current account surplus. Viet Nam needs to accelerate economic restructuring, particularly reforms in the banking sector and to state-owned enterprises. Despite remarkable achievements in reducing poverty, serious development challenges are posed by income and non-income inequality and pockets of poverty, particularly among ethnic minorities.
ADB supports Viet Nam’s socioeconomic development across a range of sectors. Resources are committed to the financing of infrastructure and human resource development, rural development, social inclusion, and gender equity.
Projects in Viet Nam
- Secondary Cities Development Program (Green Cities)
- Support to Border Areas Development
- Skills and Knowledge for Inclusive Economic Growth Program (formerly Secondary Education Sector Teachers and Education Managers Development Program)
- Second GMS Southern Coastal Corridor Project
- GMS Hanoi-Lang Son Expressway (MFF $900 million)
- Urban Environment and Climate Change Adaptation
- Northern Power Transmission Expansion (Sector) Project
- Microfinance Development Program Subprogram 2
- Support for the Preparation and Implementation of the Results-Based Socioeconomic Development Plan, 2011-2015
- Increasing the Efficiency of the National Power Transmission Corporation through Targeted Capacity Building