2017 Annual Evaluation Review
The 2017 Annual Evaluation Review (AER) comes at an important juncture for ADB, as it strengthens its position as a knowledge bank and learning institution. The work on the 2017 AER was undertaken as ADB was readying Strategy 2030, its long-term corporate framework. The AER provides an independent perspective of ADB’s performance based on the systematic assessment of ADB strategies, sectors, and operations. It informs on whether ADB’s initiatives made a difference in addressing the pressing development challenges in Asia and the Pacific. The AER does this primarily through analyses of evaluations of country strategies and projects.
The 2017 AER is a tool for both accountability and learning. As well as reporting on results, it provides an opportunity to review how evaluations can better inform ADB operations. The special theme of this year’s AER, learning from the documented lessons of project evaluations, aims to provide an insight as to how ADB learns as an institution. It reviews how lessons from project evaluations can influence better design and implementation. It is clearly acknowledged that documented lessons are a small component of what contributes to learning in ADB. Nevertheless, a review of learning from documented lessons still provides valuable insights on how knowledge is generated and managed.
The 2017 AER also gives an annual update on the implementation status of recommendations from IED's corporate and thematic evaluations. Reviewing performance and tracking the course of lessons and recommendations provide a means to understand ADB’s progress as a knowledge institution.
- Performance Assessment of ADB Country Assistance Programs (2010-2016)
- Sovereign Operations: Success Rates and Results of Validations
- Test of Significant Difference between 2011-2013 and 2014-2016 Project Ratings
- Sovereign Operations: Analysis of Performance at Project Level
- Performance of Nonsovereign Operations
- 2016 Learning from Documented Lessons: Summary of Interviews
- Self-Assessment and Validation Actions on Recommendations done in Report Year 2016
- Evaluation Recommendations, Management Responses, and Action Plans in Report Year 2016