Cambodia: Country Gender Analysis
Strategy 2020, the long-term strategic framework of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) for 2008-2020, highlights gender equity as a key driver of change, recognizing that the empowerment of women promises enormous economic and social gains in developing member countries. Data and experience over the past decade confirm the importance of gender equity in reducing poverty, improving living standards, and achieving inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
A 2009 survey of gender equality and inclusive growth across developing Asia found that gender inequity is caused and reinforced by interlinked cultural, social, and economic factors (Niimi 2009). Data suggest that gender inequality is greater when a country's economic opportunities are more limited or households experience greater economic hardship. Key policies to promote gender equity and inclusive growth are:
- removing cultural, social, and institutional obstacles by educating the public about gender issues and introducing and enforcing anti-discrimination legislation;
- promoting economic development to generate economic opportunities; and
- improving women's capabilities and access to economic opportunities.
Based on this country gender analysis and gender analysis in ADB's sector assessments, the Cambodia Country Partnership Strategy, 2011-2013 (ADB 2011b) demonstrates how ADB's country program will translate the concept of gender equity into a driver of change in Cambodia.
ADB Contributions to Gender Equality in Cambodia
ADB has pursued gender equality in Cambodia through gender action plans (GAPs) in its agriculture, rural development, irrigation and water resources, education, health, and rural water supply and sanitation operations. Gender-related loan and grant assurances have improved the monitoring and documentation of gender equality results, ensuring that poor women and men participate in, and benefit from, project activities.
- Introduction: ADB's Commitment to Gender Equity
- Cambodia in 2011: A Profile of Gender Equity
- Challenges to Achieving Gender Equity in Cambodia
- Gender and Cambodia's Millennium Development Goals
- Institutional Assessment: Laws, Policies, and the National Machinery
- Recent ADB Contributions to Gender Equality in Cambodia
- Strengthening Gender Mainstreaming in Ongoing and Future ADB Operations