Fast-Track Tax Reform: Lessons from Maldives
This book details how the Government of Maldives was able to implement a largely successful tax administration system and lessons learned from Maldives’ fast-track approach to tax reform.
The economy of Maldives faced two very challenging episodes traced to the 2004 tsunami and the 2008-2009 global financial crisis. To develop alternative sources of funding and to improve services delivery, the government, with the help of partners like the Asian Development Bank and others, succeeded in transforming the country’s revenue system into a modern, e-enabled system for effective tax collection and development of a broader tax base. Find out more about Maldives’ fast-track approach to tax reforms which can serve as a guide for other developing countries.
- Government Revenues before 2011 and the Tax Reform Program
- Introduction of New Taxes
- Establishment of the Tax Administration System
- Some Unique Difficulties and Challenges of Implementation
- Success Factors
- Maintaining the Impetus
- Learning from the Maldives Experience