Philippines: Transport Sector Assessment, Strategy, and Road Map
This transport sector assessment highlights development issues, needs, and strategic assistance priorities of the Government of the Philippines and ADB.
ADB's strategy in the transport sector grows out of this overall strategy to support inclusive, environmentally sustainable growth and the government's priority investment program. The strategy aims to address three core issues within the transport sector:
- enhancement of transport efficiency;
- development of urban transport; and
- sustainability of the transport system in terms of the physical sustainability of assets, the social sustainability of operations in relation to safety and security, and its environmental sustainability.
This transport sector assessments, strategies, and road map (ASR) highlights development issues, needs, and strategic assistance priorities of the Government of the Philippines and ADB, with a focus on roads and intermodal integration, governance and institutional capacity, urban transport, and private sector provision of infrastructure.
It highlights sector performance, priority development constraints, the government's strategy and plans, other development partner support, lessons learned from past ADB support, and possible future ADB assistance including knowledge support and investments. The report serves as a basis for further dialogue on how ADB and the government can work together to tackle the challenges of managing transport sector development in the Philippines in the coming years.
As such, ADB's strategy for the Philippine transport sector is fully consistent with ADB's Sustainable Transport Initiative, which supports the development of transport systems that are economically, socially, and environmentally sustainable.
To address the three core issues, the strategy supports four key areas of intervention:
- improvement of national highways,
- development of urban transport,
- strengthening of sector governance, and
- facilitation of private sector infrastructure development and regional operations.
- Sector Assessment: Context and Strategic Issues
- Sector Strategy
- Transport Sector Road Map and Results Framework
- Appendix: Problem Tree for the Transport Sector