Private Sector Assessment in the People's Republic of China
One of the most significant features of the People's Republic of China's (PRC) transition to a market economy is the rapid development and integral role of the private sector. Although the PRC has adopted a framework that supports the rule of law and promotes economic reforms, the institutional capacity for a modern market economy is not fully in place and many other constraints to private sector development continue to exist.
This report recognizes important government reforms to promote private sector development and is intended to be a basis for dialogue about further reforms that are needed, priorities and steps to be taken, and future Asian Development Bank initiatives in this area.
- Executive Summary
- Macroeconomic Environment
- Policy, Legal, and Institutional Framework for Private Sector Development
- Factors Impeding Private Enterprise Development - Business Climate Surveys and Voices of Private Sector Players
- Sector Assessments
- Private Sector Development Activities of Other Funding Agencies
- Assessment of ADB's Private Sector Activities
- Proposed ADB Private Sector Development Strategy