- Key Facts
- Board of Governors
- Board of Directors
- Departments and Offices
- Policies and Strategies
- Annual Meetings
- Independent Evaluation
- Public Sector (Sovereign) Financing
- Private Sector (Nonsovereign) Financing
- Funds and Resources
- Asian Development Fund
- ASEAN Infrastructure Fund
- Investor Information[日本語]
- Business Opportunities
- Consulting Services
- ADB-Japan Scholarship Program
- News & Events
- Data & Research
- Industry and Trade
- Information and Communication Technology
- Public Sector Management
- Social Protection
- Capacity Development
- Climate Change
- Environmental Sustainability
- Gender and Development
- Poverty Reduction
- Private Sector Development
- Regional Cooperation and Integration
- Social Development
- Urban Development
- Brunei Darussalam-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East ASEAN Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA)
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC)
- Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS)
- Indonesia-Malaysia-Thailand Growth Triangle (IMT-GT)
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC)
- European Representative Office
- Japanese Representative Office [日本語]
- North American Representative Office
- Pacific Liaison and Coordination Office
- Pacific Subregional Office
Countries with Operations
- China, People's Republic of [中文]
- Cook Islands
- Indonesia [Bahasa Indonesia]
- Kyrgyz Republic
- Lao PDR
- Marshall Islands
- Micronesia, Federated States of
- Papua New Guinea
ADB President Meets Finance Minister on Annual Meeting, Attends Delhi Summit
ADB President Haruhiko Kuroda with Indian Finance Minister and Chair of the ADB Board of Governors Palaniappan Chidambaram.
NEW DELHI, INDIA – The President of the Asian Development Bank (ADB), Haruhiko Kuroda, visited New Delhi, India this week to discuss ADB Annual Meeting preparations with India’s Finance Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram and to attend the Delhi Sustainable Development Summit.
ADB will hold the 46th Annual Meeting of its Board of Governors to discuss key development issues in Asia and the Pacific on 2-5 May in India.
“The theme of ADB’s 2013 Annual Meeting is ‘development through empowerment.’ This is an issue close to the heart of both ADB and the Indian Government,” said President Kuroda. “India has, of course, been a keen participant in these debates for many years, having joined ADB as a founding member in 1966. And with its fast-changing economy and large, dynamic population, India will play a key part in the region’s future prosperity.”
At a meeting with Mr. Chidambaram earlier today, President Kuroda thanked the finance minister for the Government of India’s support and cooperation for the upcoming Annual Meeting. He also expressed his gratitude for extensive preparations for the event that will take place at the India Expo Mart in Greater Noida.
The Annual Meeting is expected to attract over 4,000 participants, including finance ministers and central bank governors from around the region and beyond. Representatives from international organizations, academia, the private sector, media, and civil society, will also be in attendance, ensuring rigorous, in-depth debate.
The key Governors’ Seminar to be held on 3 May will focus on how Asia and the Pacific can develop beyond being simply Factory Asia. Other seminars will address issues ranging from how to further diversify the region’s economy toward high productivity sectors, to job creation, disaster risk management, and public service delivery.
In a keynote speech at the Delhi Sustainable Development Summit yesterday, President Kuroda stressed the need to work toward a future of improved resource efficiency, reduced depletion of natural resources, higher resilience for the region’s diverse societies, and more broadly shared prosperity.
The 2013 Annual Meeting will mark the third time India has hosted ADB’s yearly gathering. In 1990, the Annual Meeting was held in New Delhi and in 2006, it was held in Hyderabad.
For ADB Annual Meeting information and media registration, visit: http://www.adb.org/annual-meeting/2013/main
For information and to participate in the ADB Annual Meeting on the go, download the ADB Annual Meeting app: http://www.adb.org/mobile-apps#amapp