- Key Facts
- Board of Governors
- Board of Directors
- Departments and Offices
- Policies and Strategies
- Annual Meetings
- Independent Evaluation
- Public Sector (Sovereign) Financing
- Private Sector (Nonsovereign) Financing
- Funds and Resources
- Asian Development Fund
- ASEAN Infrastructure Fund
- Investor Information[日本語]
- Business Opportunities
- Consulting Services
- ADB-Japan Scholarship Program
- News & Events
- Data & Research
- Industry and Trade
- Information and Communication Technology
- Public Sector Management
- Social Protection
- Capacity Development
- Climate Change
- Environmental Sustainability
- Gender and Development
- Poverty Reduction
- Private Sector Development
- Regional Cooperation and Integration
- Social Development
- Urban Development
- Brunei Darussalam-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East ASEAN Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA)
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC)
- Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS)
- Indonesia-Malaysia-Thailand Growth Triangle (IMT-GT)
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC)
- European Representative Office
- Japanese Representative Office [日本語]
- North American Representative Office
- Pacific Liaison and Coordination Office
- Pacific Subregional Office
Countries with Operations
- China, People's Republic of [中文]
- Cook Islands
- Indonesia [Bahasa Indonesia]
- Kyrgyz Republic
- Lao PDR
- Marshall Islands
- Micronesia, Federated States of
- Papua New Guinea
Armenia's Aging Hydropower Plants Get New Life with ADB Private Sector Loan
YEREVAN, ARMENIA – The Asian Development Bank (ADB) is helping a private sector company in Armenia rehabilitate its hydropower plants to restore the country’s renewable energy capacity and improve the power plants’ reliability and safety.
ADB signed a $25 million loan today that will help International Energy Corp. (IEC) – which is majority owned by RusHydro, the Russian Federation’s largest hydropower generation company – to repair the Sevan-Hrazdan Cascade Hydropower System, which was built between the 1930s and 1960s. The system now requires significant rehabilitation to extend its working life and reduce the risk of major failures. Aside from the rehabilitation of the hydropower plants, IEC will also plug the leaks in the diversion channels.
“The rehabilitation of the Sevan-Hrazdan Cascade Hydropower System will enhance Armenia’s energy security by supplying clean and affordable electricity generated with local water resource. It will help transform IEC with modern equipment and practice,” said Michael Barrow, Director in ADB's Private Sector Operations Department.
“We expect that this first long-term funding transaction with Asian Development Bank for rehabilitation of RusHydro hydropower assets in Armenia would kick-off a good start for establishing further effective relations between RusHydro Group and the bank,” said Konstantin Bessmertniy, Member of the Board, RusHydro.
ADB’s participation will also help build confidence for private sector participation in Armenia’s renewable energy development.
The Sevan-Hrazdan Cascade Hydropower System is one of the most important hydropower generation assets in Armenia. The system consists of seven run-of-the-river hydropower stations, canals, and reservoirs between Lake Sevan and the City of Yerevan. It currently supplies about 10% of the country’s electricity, and plays a significant role in supporting the balance of the electric grid and providing affordable energy.
IEC is majority owned by RusHydro, the Russian Federation’s largest hydropower generation company with an installed capacity of 36,2 GW. RusHydro, in turn, is 67.12% owned by the Russian state, with the remaining 32.88% of its shares publicly traded on the Moscow and London stock exchanges.