- Key Facts
- Board of Governors
- Board of Directors
- Departments and Offices
- Policies and Strategies
- Annual Meetings
- Independent Evaluation
- Public Sector (Sovereign) Financing
- Private Sector (Nonsovereign) Financing
- Funds and Resources
- Asian Development Fund
- ASEAN Infrastructure Fund
- Investor Information[日本語]
- Business Opportunities
- Consulting Services
- ADB-Japan Scholarship Program
- News & Events
- Data & Research
- Industry and Trade
- Information and Communication Technology
- Public Sector Management
- Social Protection
- Capacity Development
- Climate Change
- Environmental Sustainability
- Gender and Development
- Poverty Reduction
- Private Sector Development
- Regional Cooperation and Integration
- Social Development
- Urban Development
- Brunei Darussalam-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East ASEAN Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA)
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC)
- Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS)
- Indonesia-Malaysia-Thailand Growth Triangle (IMT-GT)
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC)
- European Representative Office
- Japanese Representative Office [日本語]
- North American Representative Office
- Pacific Liaison and Coordination Office
- Pacific Subregional Office
Countries with Operations
- China, People's Republic of [中文]
- Cook Islands
- Indonesia [Bahasa Indonesia]
- Kyrgyz Republic
- Lao PDR
- Marshall Islands
- Micronesia, Federated States of
- Papua New Guinea
ADB Appoints New Country Director for Bangladesh
DHAKA, BANGLADESH - The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has appointed Kazuhiko Higuchi as the new Country Director for its Bangladesh resident mission.
“I am looking forward to working for Bangladesh, and the people of Bangladesh,” said Mr. Kazuhiko Higuchi. “Bangladesh is progressing fast and ADB will continue to make every effort to support Bangladesh’s endeavor toward further reaping the potential of the country,” Mr. Higuchi said.
Mr. Higuchi succeeds M. Teresa Kho, who moved to become the Country Director for ADB’s resident mission in New Delhi, India in February this year. Mr. Higuchi is expected to assume his new position on 22 April 2014.
Mr. Higuchi, a Japanese national, joined ADB in 1988, and has since worked on transport, water supply, and urban development projects, as well as on portfolio management, procurement, and office management.
Prior to this assignment, he was in Uzbekistan as ADB Country Director, a post he had held since 2009. From 2005 to 2009, Mr. Higuchi was Director of the Transport and Communications Division of the South Asia Department of ADB, managing ADB’s operations in the transport and communications sectors in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. From 2002 to 2005, he was posted in Kazakhstan as ADB Country Director.
Kazuhiko Higuchi holds a Master of Science degree in construction management from Loughborough University of Technology, UK, and a Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from Tokyo Metropolitan University, Japan.
Bangladesh has been a member of ADB since 1973. Since then, ADB has provided Bangladesh with around $15.4 billion in loans and grants, including $872 million in 2013 alone. ADB’s priority areas for support in Bangladesh include energy, transport, urban infrastructure and water supply and sanitation, education, agriculture and natural resources, and finance sectors. As of 31 December 2013, ADB’s assistance for Bangladesh included 58 loans with $5.19 billion in total value.