Purpose / Background
The ASEAN Rice Trade Forum seeks to serve as a platform for promoting coherent and coordinated policy actions on rice trade to advance the goal of food security in the ASEAN region.
The theme of the Forum is managing the risks of extreme rice price volatility caused by policy shocks and supply distortions brought about by climate change, through coherent and coordinated policy actions.
The Forum is convened, on a pilot basis, by the ASEAN Food Security Reserve Board (AFSRB), in coordination with the ASEAN Secretariat and the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
ADB's technical assistance on food security of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) provides financial support for the ASEAN Rice Trade Forum.
At the end of the Forum, participants will have
- shared and analyzed rice market information
- identified areas of cooperation and policy coordination to mitigate or avoid extreme rice price volatility
- determined long-term and strategic policy reforms for the sustained development of regional rice trade
- tested and discussed the business processes and arrangements involved in organizing a rice trade forum
- Event highlights
- Draft policy recommendations to the ASEAN Food Security Reserve Board for promoting an environment conducive to rice trade
Members of the ASEAN Food Security Reserve Board, rice traders, relevant ASEAN and ASEAN Plus Three bodies, development partners, and civil society organizations.
The four key presenters are
- Eric Wailes, University of Arkansas
- Ramon Clarete, University of the Philippines
- Roehl Briones, Philippine Institute for Development Studies
- Framroze Pochara, formerly with the Singapore Mercantile Exchange (SMX) and the Dubai Gold and Commodities Exchange
Two to three experts or discussants will share their views on each of the presentations.Stay up to date Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest issues, news, events, jobs and data in your e-mail inbox.