The final workshop on the social protection index (SPI) will serve as the culminating activity of ADB's regional TA on updating and improving the social protection index (ADB TA No. 7601-REG). It will build on the outputs produced from the inception workshop (Seoul, April 2011) and the midterm workshop (Manila, November 2011). Final reports of about 30 country studies will be presented along with the results of the statistical capacity building activities. Significant activities under the TA have been carried out in close partnership with the International Labour Organization (ILO), the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), and the OECD Korea Policy Centre.
A round table technical meeting with representatives of national statistics offices is scheduled on 27 June 2012 to discuss the TA's component on capacity building for monitoring social protection programs in Indonesia, the Philippines and Sri Lanka.
The workshop aims to:
- present the findings of the country SPI reports;
- take stock of the progress achieved at the country/regional level in strengthening social protection systems;
- share experiences of Indonesia, the Philippines, and Sri Lanka in incorporating a social protection module in their household surveys, and their activities to monitor social protection programs;
- develop a plan for further disseminating the SPI to increase its visibility and usability;
- present the SPI database for the region; and
- gather insights and lessons learned in the effort to develop a more reliable index reflecting social protection expenditure, coverage, poverty and gender targeting in Asia and the Pacific.
Key recommendations to address social protection gaps, priorities and policy options in Asia and the Pacific.
This Asia-wide workshop will bring together about 80 representatives from national statistics and economic planning offices, policy researchers and practitioners working at the technical level, including TA consultants, development partners, and staff from ADB, ILO, OECD, and OECD Korea Policy Centre.
This event is by invitation only.Stay up to date Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest issues, news, events, jobs and data in your e-mail inbox.