The Climate Technology Centre and Network (CTCN), was created by a decision of UNFCCC in 2010 at COP16 in Cancun, Mexico. The CTCN is one of the two organs of the Technology Mechanism under the UNFCCC, to enhance the actions on technology development and transfer so as to support developing countries to reduce GHG emissions while developing their economy, and to adapt to the negative impacts caused by climate change.
ADB and UNEP are working in partnership with co-funding from the Global Environment Facility (GEF), and other donor countries, to establish a Pilot Climate Technology Network and Finance Center to directly address the key barriers to climate technology transfer and deployment in Asia and the Pacific, through fostering knowledge sharing, public-private partnerships, and the development of institutional capacity and climate technology policies. The GEF is supporting four regional technology and finance centers and networks within the framework of the Long-Term Poznan Program on Technology Transfer, in collaboration with the four regional development banks.
The side-event will examine the linkages between the Financial Mechanism and the Technology Mechanism of the UNFCCC to make a step change in the level of developing country access to low-carbon and climate-resilient technologies and the role of regional institutions including MDBs in this context.
- The role of the development banks in climate technology financing through the center approach will be discussed.
- Public and private sector representatives will present their experiences and views on facilitating technology transfer with private sector engagement, and how the public sector resources could be effectively utilized.
- UNFCCC, UNEP and GEF will share their vision on technology transfer and innovation to address climate change.
Representatives from government delegations, climate change specialists from IGOs and NGOs, business sector leaders, and media.
- Dr. Naoko Ishii, CEO and Chairperson, GEF
- Dr. Bindu Lohani, Vice President, Asian Development Bank
- Ms. Mafalda DUARTE, Chief Climate Change Specialist, African Development Bank
- Dr. Lu Xuedu, Advisor on Climate Change, Asian Development Bank
- Dr. Craig Davies, Senior Manager - Climate Change Adaptation, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
- Mr. Claudio Alatorre, Senior Climate Change Specialist, Inter-American Development Bank
- Dr. Ajay Mathur, Director, Interim Secretariat, Green Climate Fund
- Dr. Ryutaro Yatsu, Vice Minister of the Environment, GOJ
- Mr. Roger Ammoun, Partner, Credit Suisse Customised Fund Investment Group