This activity will facilitate experience sharing among members of the CAREC Program* related to World Trade Organization (WTO) accession. It will provide trade officials in non-WTO CAREC countries with insights on options for managing the accession process in areas such as identification of goals; assessment of options; formulation of negotiating strategies; and management of the negotiating team and national committee.
The CAREC Program's Trade Policy Strategic Action Plan* has three goals:
- increasing trade openness to stimulate stronger growth and development, contributing to poverty reduction;
- achieving WTO membership for all countries; and
- capacity building in the area of trade and trade policy.
Four CAREC countries are WTO members (PRC, Kyrgyz Republic, Mongolia, Pakistan) and five are observers (Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan).
This activity will emphasize interaction among participants. Most resource persons will come from CAREC countries that are WTO members. They will share lessons from their accession experience in selected areas and substantial time will be provided for other participants to question and explore issues of relevance to their current situation. External resource persons with expertise in WTO and accession issues will participate as moderators or commentators to bring in broader experience, new issues, and their own insights and experience.
Focus areas for discussion will include:
- Effective inter-agency coordination and consultation mechanisms
- National consensus building and managing stakeholders
- Building the trade negotiating team
- Pre-accession strategies and challenges
- Post-accession strategies and challenges
- Knowledge sharing on approaches to managing the WTO accession process
- Interaction among CAREC country officials on practical issues and solutions in the accession process
- Participants deepen their understanding of policy areas and options in the WTO accession process and post-accession phase, and related implications
- Participants are exposed to various approaches to managing different stages of the WTO accession process
- Participants gain knowledge and experience that supports their efforts to efficiently manage their country's WTO accession
The activity is designed for mid- to senior-level government officials from CAREC countries with direct involvement in WTO affairs in their country. CAREC countries are: Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, PRC, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyz Republic, Mongolia, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.
English and Russian
Asian Development Bank
CAREC Program secretariat
* These links take you outside the ADBI.org websiteStay up to date Subscribe to our newsletter and get the latest issues, news, events, jobs and data in your e-mail inbox.