PPP in Health Manila 2012 aims to offer a platform for regional dialogues in pursuing public-private partnerships (PPPs) in health as they are increasingly applied to the health sector. Despite rapid economic growth and social transformation in Asia, countries continue to face challenges in ensuring access to quality health care services for their population. They are, therefore, motivated to explore innovative approaches such as PPPs.
PPPs are innovative, long-term contractual arrangements for developing infrastructure and providing public services by introducing private sector funds and expertise in areas that are normally the responsibility of the government. PPPs, if they are structured and executed appropriately to international 'best practice', can help governments face the challenges that they are currently facing in the health sector.
Having spent several years promoting successful PPPs in the world, ADB and UNECE, find common grounds with DOH, DBP, and PhilHealth and convene this regional learning event. The event is anchored on the theme, Developing Models, Ensuring Sustainability: Perspectives from Asia and Europe.
The learning event aims to:
- Showcase case studies and best practices in Asia, Europe, and in other parts of the world and highlight key lessons;
- Promote a policy dialogue on the appropriateness of adopting PPPs to address key health problems; and
- Discuss the barriers and opportunities to implementing successful PPP projects in health and how to put in place a follow-up platform for continuing cooperation (e.g., an eHub, network or PPP Centre of Excellence in Health).
This regional event will go beyond the usual presentations and offer a rich learning and sharing experience, particularly through the open forums, clinic sessions, and marketplace (business forum).
This event is the first of its kind in Asia and will attract interest from:
- Policymakers and decision-makers
- Local and international PPP health advocates
- Private and public sector health professionals
- Local chief executives
- Health sector business leaders and suppliers
- Academicians, researchers, and media representatives
The event will bring together experts, decision-makers, and leaders in health and social services sectors. Among them are:
- Stephen P. Groff, Vice-President (Operations 2) of the Asian Development Bank.
- Enrique T. Ona, Secretary of the Philippines' Department of Health, and former Director of the National Kidney and Transplant Institute, one of the pioneers of PPP projects in the health sector in the Philippines
- Geoffrey Hamilton, Chief of the Economic Cooperation and Integration Division of UNECE.
- Eduardo Banzon, President, Philippine Health Insurance Corporation.
- Kim Jungwook, Director of Public Private Partnership Division of the Public and Private Infrastructure Investment Management Center (PIMAC) of the Korea Development Institute (KDI).
- Paul Daza, Governor of Northern Samar, Philippines, one of the first LGUs that implemented a PPP in health project.
- Alberto Germani, Member, UNECE PPP Task Force, and former Member of the PPP Task Force in Italy.
- Kai Hong Phua, Health Policy Professor, National University of Singapore.
- Aquilino Q. Pimentel Jr., Former Senator, and Author of the Philippines' Local Government Code of 1991.
- Florentino Solon , Founder and President, Nutrition Center of the Philippines.
- David Dombkins, Chief Executive Officer of the Complex Program Group.