ADB, ASEAN, and the Pacific Islands Forum will discuss cooperation in Asia and the role of regional institutions in deepening cooperation. Senior officials from the ASEAN+3 Macroeconomic Research Office, CAREC and SAARC member countries will join the discussion, to be moderated by ADB Institute Dean Kawai.
The event will also launch the March 2013 issue of the Asian Economic Integration Monitor, with its special section "Multilateralizing Asian Regionalism: Approaches to Unraveling the Asian Noodle Bowl". After the discussion, a publication on the ADB-organized Conference on Regional Cooperation and Integration (RCI) held in Kunming, PRC in March 2012, featuring achievements and prospects for Asia and the Pacific, will be released.
The high-level roundtable discussion aims to explore how regional cooperation can assist Asia and the Pacific adapt to a new and multi-polar economic landscape. The discussion will cover how regional cooperation can work for the region, and how regional institutions can strengthen partnerships to facilitate and promote cooperative efforts.
- Embassies and consulates
- International organizations
- Government agencies
- Research institutions and the academe
Opening remarks: Changyong Rhee, Chief Economist and Officer-in-Charge, Office of Regional Economic Integration, ADB
Keynote: Bindu N. Lohani, Vice-President, Knowledge Management and Sustainable Development, ADB
Progress of Regional Cooperation and Integration in Asia and the Pacific: Changyong Rhee, ADB Chief Economist and Officer-in-Charge, Office of Regional Economic Integration
Moderator: Masahiro Kawai, Dean, ADB Institute
- Aladdin Rillo, Chief Economist and Director of ASEAN Integration Monitoring Office, Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN)
- Tuiloma Neroni Slade, Secretary General, Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat (PIFS)
- Yoichi Nemoto, Director, ASEAN+3 Macroeconomic Research Office (AMRO)
- Madina Abylkassymova, Vice-Minister of Economy and Budget Planning, Republic of Kazakhstan
- Rameshore Prasad Khanal, Economic Advisor to the Prime Minister, Office of the Prime Minister and Council of Ministers, Government of Nepal