This regional seminar is designed for senior government officials associated with designing and implementing ADB-financed loan projects in secondary education, technical and vocational education and training and skills development, as well as ADB education sector and gender staff. The seminar is 6th of a series of South-South peer gender mainstreaming learning events in developing member countries conducted by ADB at the regional, subregional, and bilateral levels.
The regional seminar will be followed by an Annual Gender Specialists Consultation Meeting/Retreat from 15 to 17 September, in which ADB gender specialists in headquarters and resident missions will participate.
The objectives of the regional seminar are to
- showcase gender-inclusive ADB projects currently achieving successful results in secondary education and technical and vocational education and training;
- promote cross-fertilization of experiences among senior government officials associated in the implementation of ADB projects; and
- build the capacity of project staff implementing ADB-financed loan projects for greater gender equality results.
Ninety participants will comprise: government representatives from 13 ADB developing members (including Bangladesh, Cambodia, People's Republic of China, India, Indonesia, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Timor-Leste, and Viet Nam), partner agencies from Beijing, select resource speakers from within and outside the region and ADB gender and education sector staff.
Two noted speakers, Liu Jiantong, Deputy Director General of the Department of Vocational and Adult Education, Ministry of Education, PRC, and Han Jun, Vice President of the Development Research Center of the State Council, PRC, will lead the seminar.
Other speakers include
- Ratan Kumar Roy, Directorate of Secondary and Higher Education, Ministry of Education, Bangladesh
- Mahashram Sharma, Ministry of Education, Nepal
- Le Thi Bich Nguyet, Ministry of Education and Training, Viet Nam
- Keomanivanh Phimmahasay, Ministry of Education and Sports, Lao PDR
- Jamaludin Abdullah Amin, Ministry of Religious Affairs, Indonesia
- Ram Hari Lamichhane, Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training, Nepal
- Liu Yufeng, Ministry of Education, PRC
- Xiang Shengwen, Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security, PRC
- Zheng Xinrong, Chinese Women's Research Society, PRC
- Helmut Schoenleber, GIZ/China
- Nancy Kim, The Asia Foundation/ China
- Liu Bohong, Women's Studies Institute of China
- Roel Soto, Don Bosco Technical School, Cambodia
- Bijal Brahmbhatt, Mahila Housing Trust, India
- Anara Beishembaeva Agency for Vocational Education, Kyrgyz Republic
- Phouvieng Phoumilay, Ministry of Education and Sports, Lao PDR
- Isabel de Lima, Secretariat of State for Vocational Training and Employment Policy, Timor-Leste