Despite remarkable progress in Asia and the Pacific, more than half of the people in its 28 poorest countries live on less than $2/day. It doesn't have to be this way. The Asian Development Fund is crucial for improving lives of this most vulnerable group.
Title: Did You Know? Asian Development Fund
Description: Despite remarkable progress in Asia and the Pacific, more than half of the people in its 28 poorest countries live on less than $2/day. It doesn't have to be this way. The Asian Development Fund is crucial for improving lives of this most vulnerable group.
Text: Did you know? Asian Development Fund – ADF. Empowering Asia’s most vulnerable.
Asian Development Fund assists 29 of the poorest countries in Asia and the Pacific. ADF countries have made progress.
ADF countries reduced the percentage of poor people living on less than $1.25/day. 1990 – 63%, 2011 -20%.
In just 4 years, between 2011 and 2014, ADF has:
- built or upgraded educational facilities for the benefit of over 17 million students
- trained over 1 million teachers
- provided improved training to more than 28 million students
- installed or rehabilitated 15,000 km of water pipes
- upgraded sanitation in 293,000 households
- connected an estimated 1 million households with water supplies
- improved almost 2 million hectares of land through irrigation, drainage and flood management initiatives
- facilitated over 2 million microfinanc accounts and borrowers
- and about 38,000 new small and medium-sized loan accounts and end borrowers.
- established equality and women’s empowerment projects om 11 countries between 2011 and 2014.
- installed over 200 megawatts of new generating capacity
- built or upgraded 11,300 km of transmission and distribution lines
- built or upgraded 25,000 km of roads
But this is not enough to reach the Millennium Development Goals by 2015:
- Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Achieve universal primary education
- Promote gender equality and empowerment
- Reduce child mortality
- Improve maternal health
- Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Ensure environmental sustainability
- A global partnership for development
Many millions throughout Asia and the Pacific remain in persistent poverty. In ADF countries, 1 in 5 people still live on less than $1.25/day (101 million, 20%) and 1 in 2 people live on less tha $2/day (260 million, 50%).
Asian Development Fund: a crucial financing resource helping ADF countries achieve the MDGs and a long-standing and trusted partner in tackling development challenges.
- Inclusive economic growth
- Environmentally sustainable growth
- Regional integration