The Indian economy has been delivering strong economic growth across most sectors for the last few years. However, to achieve inclusive and sustainable growth, it is vital to develop the country's infrastructure, such as power, water, roads, ports, airports, urban bus and metro lines, health and education facilities. Infrastructure demand is expected to go up to $1 trillion under India’s 12th Five-Year Plan (2012-2017).
The Government of India has therefore focused on developing several enabling tools and activities to spur private sector investments into the country through public-private partnerships (PPPs). These are vital for catalyzing investments in new infrastructure, and for efficient operation and maintenance of assets, existing and new, over their lifetime and ensuring focus on service delivery.
The ADB-India PPP Initiative
Mainstreaming PPPs in India is a joint program of ADB and the government, through India’s Department of Economic Affairs, which focus on such activities as:
- capacity building of officials,
- process standardization,
- sector tools,
- development funds, and
- project development.
Since 2006, ADB has been supporting the program through seven technical assistance projects.
- 40243-012: Mainstreaming Public-Private Partnerships at State Level
- 41575-012: Mainstreaming Public-Private Partnerships at Central Line Ministries of the Government of India
- 42510-012: Supporting an Initiative for Mainstreaming Public-Private Partnerships for Providing Urban Amenities in Rural Areas
- 41643-012: Preparing the Public-Private Partnerships Pilot Projects Initiative (Mainstreaming Public-Private Partnerships)
- 43013-012: Assisting in Framework Development for Mainstreaming Public-Private Partnerships
- 42271-012: Sustaining the Government of India-ADB Initiative for Mainstreaming Public-Private Partnerships
- 42272-012: Deepening Capacity Building for Mainstreaming Public-Private Partnerships
The initiative will continue to evolve with the changing needs of the PPP environment in India and aid in the overall inclusive growth of the country.