ADB's operational strategy for Papua New Guinea (PNG) is aligned with the government's Medium Term Development Plan, 2011-2015. The country partnership strategy (CPS), 2011-2015 aims to help PNG plan and implement a successful transition through the conversion of its natural resource wealth into inclusive economic growth. ADB interventions will support more inclusive growth by creating livelihood opportunities and improving access to basic services, especially in rural areas where 87% of the population lives.
The country operations business plan, 2015-2017 is the fifth under the CPS, 2011-2015. The strategy was developed in close consultation with the government and other stakeholders, and is aligned with the government’s Development Strategic Plan, 2010-2030 and Medium-Term Development Plan, 2011-2015. Consistent with the direction of the midterm review of ADB's Strategy 2020, support will be focused on supporting rural populations to access the benefits of economic growth by enhanced transport infrastructure and improving access to finance, primary health services, and electricity, which are vital for better rural service provision and income-earning opportunities.
ADB will continue to seek out opportunities for cofinancing and to produce knowledge products that inform and influence national policy debates and support country operations. ADB will also help PNG mitigate the risks of climate change. ADB support for private sector development - through state-owned enterprise reform - will lower business transaction costs, thereby helping expand small- and medium-sized enterprises and create jobs in the formal economy. ADB will mainstream gender in all general intervention projects. ADB will continue to invest directly in the private sector, using loans, equity, and guarantee facilities as appropriate.
Country Operations Business Plans
- Papua New Guinea: Country Operations Business Plan (2015-2017)
- Papua New Guinea: Country Operations Business Plan (2014-2016)
- Papua New Guinea: Country Operations Business Plan (2013-2015)
- Papua New Guinea: Country Operations Business Plan (2012-2014)
- Papua New Guinea: Country Operations Business Plan (2011-2012)
Country Partnership Strategies
Country Partnership Strategy Final Review
Country Partnership Strategy Updates
CPS Mid-Term Review Reports
Regional Cooperation Strategy and Programs
- Pacific: Regional Operations Business Plan (2014-2016)
- Pacific: Regional Operations Business Plan (2013-2015)
- Pacific: Regional Cooperation Operations Business Plan (2010-2013)
- ADB's Approach to Assisting the Pacific (2010-2014)
- Working in Fragile Environments: A Midterm Review of the Pacific Strategy (2005–2009)
The Public Communications Policy (PCP) recognizes that transparency and accountability are essential to development effectiveness. It establishes the disclosure requirements for documents and information ADB produces or requires to be produced.
The Accountability Mechanism provides a forum where people adversely affected by ADB-assisted projects can voice and seek solutions to their problems and report alleged noncompliance of ADB's operational policies and procedures.