The Philippines is among the fastest-growing economies in Southeast Asia, with upgrades to sovereign investment ratings confirming improvements in the country’s macroeconomic fundamentals. The Government of the Philippines has defined its development objectives as driving rapid but inclusive economic growth, accelerating employment on a massive scale, and reducing poverty.
Since 1966, ADB has been a strong partner in the development of the Philippines, its host country. The ADB country partnership strategy, 2011-2016 for the Philippines focuses on improving the investment climate, more effectively delivering social services, and minimizing disaster risks. Emphasis is also given to strengthening governance, developing infrastructure through public channels, and building on the successes of public-private partnerships. Developing the finance sector is an emerging priority.
Read the ADB and Philippines fact sheet.
Projects in the Philippines
- Enhancing Access to Quality Early Childhood Education Services for Children in Poor Communities (formerly Early Childhood Development Project)
- Solid Waste Management Sector Project
- Capacity Development of Financial Regulators
- Strengthening Transparency and Accountability in the Road Subsector
- Structuring a Public-Private Earthquake Insurance Pool in the Philippines
Average annual population growth rate in Philippines (2010-2015)
Maternal mortality ratio in Philippines, per 100,000 live births (2015)
Population living below the national poverty line in Philippines (2012)
Population in Philippines, in millions (2015)