Following 3 decades of rapid economic growth, the People's Republic of China (PRC) is now an upper middle-income country. The country is transforming to a new growth model that emphasizes quality and sustainability, supported by innovation. Addressing climate change-related concerns is also recognized as high priority.
Development challenges include implementing fiscal reforms, improving social protection systems, and reforming state-owned enterprises. Cornerstones of reform are to improve the range, quality, and availability of financial services; protect the environment; tackle regional disparities; address pockets of extreme poverty; and allow the market to determine resource allocation.
ADB is focusing its support on innovation and value addition in infrastructure, while promoting good governance and capacity development, knowledge solutions, private sector development, and gender equity.
Projects in the People's Republic of China
- Gansu Jinta Concentrated Solar Power Project
- Xinjiang Changji Integrated Urban-Rural Infrastructure Demonstration Project
- Guizhou High Efficiency Water Utilization Demonstration in Rocky Desertification Area Project
- Hunan Xiangjiang River Watershed Existing Solid Waste Comprehensive Treatment
- Xinjiang Karamay Sustainable Agro-Forestry Development Project
- Green Finance Reform
- Strategy and Transport Policy Study on Promoting Logistics Development in Rural Areas
- Chongqing Integrated Logistics Demonstration
- Natural Disaster Risk Management in the Southern Mountain Area in Jiangxi
- Eco-Compensation Mechanism and Policy Framework Study for the Xiangjiang River Watershed of the Chang-Zhu-Tan City Cluster
Population living below the national poverty line in the People's Republic of China (2012)
Average annual population growth rate in the People's Republic of China (2010-2015)
Population in the People's Republic of China, in millions (2015)
Maternal Mortality Ratio in the People's Republic of China, per 100,000 live births (2015)