Following 3 decades of rapid economic growth, the People's Republic of China (PRC) is now an upper middle-income country. The country is transforming to a new growth model that emphasizes quality and sustainability, supported by innovation. Addressing climate change-related concerns is also recognized as high priority.
Development challenges include implementing fiscal reforms, improving social protection systems, and reforming state-owned enterprises. Cornerstones of reform are to improve the range, quality, and availability of financial services; protect the environment; tackle regional disparities; address pockets of extreme poverty; and allow the market to determine resource allocation.
ADB is focusing its support on innovation and value addition in infrastructure, while promoting good governance and capacity development, knowledge solutions, private sector development, and gender equity.
Projects in the People's Republic of China
- Developing Environmental Justice Court Procedures and Training Materials for the Supreme People's Court of the People's Republic of China
- Gansu Jinta Concentrated Solar Power Project
- Xinjiang Changji Integrated Urban-Rural Infrastructure Demonstration Project
- Hebei Elderly Care Development Project
- Fujian Farmland Sustainable Utilization and Demonstration
- Guangxi Modern Technical and Vocational Education and Training Development Program
- Supporting the Reform of the Role of the People's Bank of China
- Guizhou High Efficiency Water Utilization Demonstration in Rocky Desertification Area
- Strengthening Provincial Planning and Implementation for the Yangtze River Economic Belt
- Developing Gross Ecosystem Product Accounting for Eco-Compensation
- Chongqing Integrated Logistics Demonstration
- Eco-Compensation Mechanism and Policy Framework Study for the Xiangjiang River Watershed of the Chang-Zhu-Tan City Cluster
- Henan Sustainable Agriculture and Productivity Improvement Project (formerly Henan High Efficiency Agriculture Development [Sanmenxia Area])
- Second Heilongjiang Road Network Development Project
- Guizhou Vocational Education Development Program
1,367.82(2014) Population in millions
0.5%(2009-2014) Average annual population growth rate
8.5%(2013) Population living below the national poverty line (Differs from standard definition; or refers to only part of the country)