Following 3 decades of exceptional economic growth, the People’s Republic of China (PRC) is now regarded as an upper middle-income country.
The PRC will focus on improving quality and efficiency, and give even greater priority to shifting the growth model and adjusting the structure of development. Development challenges include promoting economic development, protecting the environment, tackling regional disparity, and allowing the market to determine resource allocation. The PRC is aiming to, among others, deepen its public finance reform, improve the financial market, promote state-owned enterprises reform, and encourage greater private sector participation.
With a focus on innovation and value addition, ADB has combined its support for infrastructure with areas such as technical and vocational education and training, provision of municipal services, and environmental improvement.
Projects in the People's Republic of China
- Pilot Program for Establishing a Support Framework for Sustainable Village Community Funds
- Sustainable Management of Fly Ash from Municipal Solid Waste Incineration in Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei
- Modeling Urban Low-Carbon Development in Xiangtan
- Henan Sustainable Livestock Farming and Product Safety Demonstration Project
- Hubei Enshi Qing River Upstream Environment Rehabilitation Project
- Xinjiang Tacheng Border Cities and Counties Development Project
- Yunnan Pu'er Regional Integrated Road Network Development Project
- Xinjiang Akesu Integrated Urban Development and Environment Improvement Project
- Low-Carbon District Heating Project in Hohhot in Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region
- Jiangxi Ji'an Sustainable Urban Transport Project
- Strengthening Capacity for Implementing the New Energy City Program in Gansu Province
- Xinjiang Urban Transport and Environmental Improvement Project (formerly Xinjiang Urban Transport Infrastructure Development)
- Shanxi Technical and Vocational Education and Training Development Project
- Integrated Strategy for Sustainable Land Management in Dryland Ecosystems
- Capacity Development for Railway Track Maintenance
1,367.82(2014) Population in millions
0.5%(2009-2014) Average annual population growth rate
8.5%(2013) Population living below the national poverty line (Differs from standard definition; or refers to only part of the country)