|Project Name||Capacity Building for Portfolio Management|
|Project Type / Modality of Assistance||Technical Assistance
|Source of Funding / Amount||
|Strategic Agendas||Inclusive economic growth
|Drivers of Change||Governance and capacity development
|Sector / Subsector||Public sector management
- Economic affairs management
|Gender Equity and Mainstreaming|
|Description||The TA will continue earlier support (see below) over a longer period and in a more targeted way primarily (i) addressing identified weak capacities of implementing/executing agencies (EA), line ministries, Foreign Aided Projects Audit Directorate, and Planning Ministry in project preparation, approval, monitoring and implementation; (ii) identifying and addressing bottlenecks/gaps; and (iii) support system development. This will lead to timely and early government approval of ADB projects; reduced time for contracting, land acquisition and resettlement; reduced start-up delays; improved governance and raised contract and disbursement ratios. TA design was formulated and will be implemented building on success and lessons learned from CDTA 7614 , including preparing of specific capacity building program at the outset of the assignment, more involvement of ADB staff and skilled government resource persons to make the training more cost effective and relevant, and using more realistic and measurable outcome and output indicators to allow for proper monitoring and evaluation of results.|
|Project Rationale and Linkage to Country/Regional Strategy||To provide technical assistance (TA) to support governance and capacity building to enhance operational efficiency of the ADB Bangladesh portfolio|
|Impact||Enhanced operational effectiveness of ADB''s Bangladesh portfolio|
|Description of Outcome||Satisfactory implementation of projects in full compliance with ADB Guidelines|
|Progress Toward Outcome||Progress is satisfactory. Various training, seminars and workshops have been conducted in compliance with ADB guidelines.|
|Description of Project Outputs||
1. Improved capacity in procurement and governance of executing agencies and line ministries implementing ADB projects
2. Improved readiness of ADB projects
3. Improved financial reporting and auditing of ADB projects
4. Improved results-based monitoring of ADB projects, sharing of best practices, and knowledge management
|Status of Implementation Progress (Outputs, Activities, and Issues)||
1. Procurement consultant and training consultant are onboard and working towards preparation of procurement monitoring tools and imparting training to officials in EAs/IAs both on-the-job and off-the-job training.
2. In 2014, Planning consultant conducted a workshop on the best practices on DPP/TPP approval process in the region. He is also following up with DPP/TPP approval in different line ministries, planning divisions, planning commission and agencies etc.
3. In 2014, audit consultant conducted 3 workshops for FAPAD staff on international audit standards, to update technical knowledge.
4. Workshop on Knowledge Dissemination and Sharing Experience on Gender Equality Results in Bangladesh and Two seminars on procurement and recruitment of consultant and two clinics on procurement and recruitment of consultant were conducted in 2014.
5. In 2014, two training workshops were organized on Environmental Safeguards and Compliance Measures' at Barisal and Bogra from EA joined.
6. In 2014, three workshop's on social safeguards were held:
i. Workshop on Involuntary Resettlement (IR) safeguards and Land Acquisition, in Khulna
ii. Workshop on Indigenous Peoples (IP) safeguards, in Dhaka.
iii. Workshop on IR safeguards and Land Acquisition, in Cox's Bazar
7. Training consultant is also actively working on following up with upcoming training events, meetings, consultations etc. Presentations, materials, documents, survey feedback etc. being used in the various workshops are being kept as repository to be used as a source of knowledge during preparation of training calendar.
|Summary of Environmental and Social Aspects|
|Stakeholder Communication, Participation, and Consultation|
|During Project Design||Economic Relations Division (ERD) under the Ministry of Finance has been consulted in preparing the TA concept and COBP. Discussions were also held with Foreign Aided Projects Audit Directorate under the Office of the Comptroller and Auditor General for the support to the audit process, and Central Procurement and Technical Unit under Ministry of Planning for support on procurement management. Action plans agreed during CPRM (2012 and after) and TPRM (June 2012 and after) were taken into account when formulating the TA. The impact, outcome, outputs, implementation arrangements, cost, financing arrangements, and terms of reference were agreed with the government during the fact-finding mission.|
|During Project Implementation||Training calendar for 2013 and 2014 were discussed and shared with ERD.|
|Consulting Services||The TA will be carried out by international and national individual consultants and resource persons (around 3 person-months of international and 18 person-months of national consultant inputs) who will be engaged following procedures for recruitment of individual consultants or resource persons as applicable on an as-needed basis for studies, training, or capacity development. The consultants engaged under the TA will be recruited by ADB in accordance with its Guidelines on the Use of Consultants (2013, as amended from time to time). Equipment will be procured using shopping procedures in accordance with ADB's Procurement Guidelines (2013, as amended from time to time) and will be turned over to the government after completion of the TA. Consulting services will commence in August 2013 and continue on an intermittent basis till August 2015.|
|Responsible ADB Officer||Yoshinobu Tatewaki|
|Responsible ADB Department||South Asia Department|
|Responsible ADB Division||Bangladesh Resident Mission|
Ministry of FinanceEconomic Relations Division (ERD), MOF
Sher-e-Bangla Nagar, Dhaka_1207
|Concept Clearance||24 Jun 2013|
|Fact Finding||23 Jun 2013 to 23 Jun 2013|
|Approval||13 Aug 2013|
|Last Review Mission||-|
|Last PDS Update||31 Mar 2015|
|Approval||Signing Date||Effectivity Date||Closing|
|13 Aug 2013||26 Aug 2013||26 Aug 2013||15 Aug 2015||31 May 2016||-|
|Financing Plan/TA Utilization||Cumulative Disbursements|
|400,000.00||0.00||60,000.00||0.00||0.00||0.00||460,000.00||13 Aug 2013||202,440.12|