|Project Name||Streamlining Legal and Regulatory Framework for Social Assistance|
|Country||China, People's Republic of|
|Project Type / Modality of Assistance||Technical Assistance
|Source of Funding / Amount||
|Strategic Agendas||Inclusive economic growth
|Drivers of Change||Governance and capacity development
|Sector / Subsector||
Public sector management - Law and judiciary - Social protection initiatives
|Gender Equity and Mainstreaming|
|Project Rationale and Linkage to Country/Regional Strategy|
|Description of Outcome|
|Progress Toward Outcome||
- Policy recommendations for improved legal and regulatory framework has been drafted, and discussed at the final workshop on 4 September 2014.
Comments from relevant government officials including the EA and resource persons will be incorporated in the final report.
- The final report (English version) was completed, and was translated into Chinese. The Chinese version was submitted to the government by December 2014.
The project activities have been completed as scheduled.
The Chinese version of the report has been also prepared.
The final report is under processing for publishing.
|Description of Project Outputs|
|Status of Implementation Progress (Outputs, Activities, and Issues)||
Recruitment of consultants almost completed and mobilized. A mission will be fielded for the inception meeting/workshop.
- Inception meeting was held on 16 April 2013, and the inception report was completed in May 2013.
- The interim workshop will be organized on 23 October 2013 to discuss the draft reports among experts and relevant government officials.
-Review mission fielded on 22-24 Oct 2013 and ADB participated in the workshop. The mission concluded that the revised reports (second draft) willbe submitted to EA and ADB by 5 Jan 2014. International study was also discussed and will be organize on Nov 2013. The draft interim and final reports will be submitted to the EA and ADB by March 2014 and 5 July 2014, respectively. The final workshop will be organized in July 2014.
The 2nd technical reports have been submitted to the EA and ADB in Jan 2014.
The EA conducted an international study tour in December 2013, and the summary of the international study tour has been submitted.
A draft interim report will be submitted to the EA and ADB in April 2014. (Since additional research for details of social assistance programs need to be done before preparing the draft interim report, the submission schedule has been reshceduled.)
A draft final report will be discussed at the final workshop in July 2014.
As of September 2014:
- The draft technical reports and final report have been circulated to the EA and ADB.
- The final workshop was held in Beijing on 4 September to discuss the draft reports and major policy recommendations.
- The EA well received the proposed recommendations and provided some more comments to complete the final report.
- All technical reports and final report (English) version will be completed by incorporating the comments collected at the final workshop by the middle of October 2014.
- The final report, English version, will be translated into Chinese and will be submitted to the government by December 2014.
- The project will be completed by 11 December 2014 as scheduled.
as of September 2015
- All project activities have been completed as scheduled.
- The final report has prepared also as scheduled, and it is under processing for publishing. For the purpose of publishing, the project completion date has been extended to December 2015.
|Stakeholder Communication, Participation, and Consultation|
|During Project Design||ADB held preliminary discussions with members of the National People's Congress and government agencies. More consultations with stakeholders will be organized during the fact-finding phase of the TA.|
|During Project Implementation||
Consultation with the government and the discussion among experts have been conducted at the inception meeting.
Further consultation with the government has been conducted at the interim workshop and the final workshop.
The government well received the draft policy recommendations which were discussed at the final workshop.
The draft policy recommendations were completed by incorporating comments collected at the final workshop.
Closely working with the Social Law Department, the TA will be undertaken by consultants with substantial expertise in social assistance, including social housing support. Two international and two national consultants will be engaged as individuals in line with ADB's procedures for recruitment of individual consultants: one international social assistance/welfare law expert for 6 person months (also the team leader); one international expert on non-profit organizations for 2 person months; one national social assistance legal specialist for 4 person months; and one national charity specialist for 2 person months. A detailed work plan will be developed in consultation with the EA/IA at the outset of the TA.
The consultants will be engaged by ADB in accordance with the ADB's Guidelines on the Use of Consultants (2010, as amended from time to time). The proceeds of the TA will be disbursed in accordance with the Technical Assistance Disbursement Handbook (2010, as amended from time to time).
|Responsible ADB Officer||Hiroko Shiroishi|
|Responsible ADB Department||East Asia Department|
|Responsible ADB Division||Public Mgt, Financial Sector and Regional Coop Division, EARD|
National People's Congress
No. 23, Xi Jiao Min Xing
|Concept Clearance||04 Jul 2012|
|Fact Finding||09 Jul 2012 to 12 Jul 2012|
|Last Review Mission||-|
|Last PDS Update||21 Sep 2015|
|Approval||Signing Date||Effectivity Date||Closing|
|17 Sep 2012||17 Oct 2012||17 Oct 2012||11 Dec 2014||11 Dec 2015||-|
|Financing Plan/TA Utilization||Cumulative Disbursements|
|400,000.00||0.00||0.00||0.00||0.00||0.00||400,000.00||17 Sep 2012||274,233.18|