Asset Quality

ADB has a very well-performing loan portfolio due primarily to its sovereign focus and preferred creditor status. As of 31 December 2013, 92.7% of ADB's outstanding effective loans under ordinary operations have been made to the public sector (member countries and, with the guarantee of the concerned member, government agencies or other public entities) with the remaining 7.3% to private sector enterprises, financial institutions, and selected nonsovereign public sector entities.

ADB has not suffered any losses of principal on sovereign loans and maintains a position of not taking part in debt rescheduling agreements. Occasional delays have occurred in loan service payments on its sovereign loans but these have not been material to ADB's operations.  During 2013, no loan loss provisions were made against outstanding sovereign loans (nil in 2012). There was no accumulated loan loss provision for sovereign loans as of 31 December 2013 (nil in 2012). 

ADB places loans in non-accrual status when they are past due by six months.

There were no nonsovereign loans in non-accrual status as of 31 December 2013 (one in 2012 with principal outstanding and overdue of $18 million). 

There were no sovereign loans in non-accrual status in 2013 and 2012.

The breakdown of ADB's outstanding effective loans as of 31 December 2013 can be seen below.  This includes loans outstanding at $53.1 billion (gross) and undisbursed effective loans at $21.9 billion.

The breakdown of ADB's total loan portfolio can be seen below:

ICT: Information and Communication Technology

Note: Percentages may not total 100% because of rounding. Nothing included in this web site or any materials shall be construed, implicitly or explicitly as containing any investment recommendation or advice, and constituting an offer of, or an invitation by or on behalf of, ADB to purchase or sell any securities. Please see "Terms of Use" for further details.


This page was generated from on 20 April 2015