- The TA has delivered two of the three critical outputs: (i) facilitation of the passage of the law on the civil service by the National Assembly in November 2008 (declared effective in January 2010), which marks an important milestone in civil service reform with the adoption of an integrated Human Resource Management (HRM) policy based on merit, competition, transparency and fairness, and (ii) facilitation of the implementation of the law, whereby ADB provided assistance in developing guiding legislations, including critical decrees on the management of civil servants and on training. A Strategic Framework was developed to ensure the coherence among policies. Efforts were made in developing implementation guidelines.
- ADB continues supporting MOHA to develop, disseminate and implement the guiding legislations, namely a decree on recruitment and management of civil servants.
- The TA has been extended until 31 May 2013 to implement the pending activities. A proposal for supplementary TA was approved to help piloting functional analysis and job analysis in selected government agencies. During the extended period, ADB continues supporting MOHA to conduct pilots in selected agencies both at central and local levels; subsequently support MOHA to develop a manual and guidelines for implementation across government agencies.
- A consulting team of 1 international and 2 domestic consultants was recruited to (i) support MOHA to implement meritocracy principles in HRM policies through piloting system for job titles, job analyses, job description and specifications in specific departments of selected agencies; and draw experiences and lessons learnt for developing guideline and manual for application in government agencies.
- A Diagnostic study and Consultation were intensively conducted from 18 December 2012 to March 2013 to discuss with officials of the MOHA, of Office of the Government (OOG), of Ministry of Natural Resource and Environment (MONRE), of Ha Noi and Quang Ninh Province. The Mission discussed the scope, outputs of the supplementary TA and the implementation arrangements, and consulted on the approach, process and Implementation Plan.
- 3 agencies including Hanoi PPC, MONRE and Quang Ninh were selected for piloting. The pilot has been prepared since December 2012 and completed by end May 2013.
- In March, a proposed methodology and tools have been defined and consulted closely with key stakholders, including MOHA and 3 piloting agencies. As part of change management strategy, half day awareness building for senior officials of MOHA and related agencies was held in March 2013. This was followed by a 2 day training workshop for task force for HR managers and officials who will conduct piloting with the coaching of consultant team.
- The TA final workshops were organized on 27 and 29 May 2013 in Hanoi and Tra Vinh to review the project implementation, evaluate the project's achievements and outcome. During the workshops, international experience on job position identification, how to apply job description to job appraisal and in state agencies was exchanged and manual on job position identification was introduced.
TA was physically completed on 31 May 2013