1) Border Administration Complex-The Contract was signed on 10 July 2012 and Contractor moblized key resources & staff on site. Actual work began in November 2012 after land issues were resolved by BDA and local authorities. Work is progressing well.
Border Administration Houses- contract was signed on 08 December 2011. The Contractor commenced work on 26 January 2012. The contracter completed construction and BDA took over the assets in March 2013.
BDA also signed the Design and Consultancy Supervision contract on 03 July 2012. Consultant has commenced work.
2) The Investment Policy Advisor submited the final report to DCI and BDA in December 2012. BDA (and DCI) to convene the Project Steering Committee to share the report and and focus on areas where immediate action is necessary.
3) A telecommunication advisor submitted his final Study for Telecommunication Strategy for WSP to BDA and DCI in June 2011. BDA & DCI to present the recommendations of the report to the Project Steering Committee to share with other relevant stakeholders & government agenices to decide on the most effective communication for new Border Building.
4) BDA has established a provincial office at the WSP Provincial Administration & the Provincial Coordinator is based full time in Vanimo. BDA will further recruit new staff after the construction of the new facilities under the project.
5) BDA signed the contracts for the Business Volunteer and Training Specialist in June 2012 and both consultants were moblized in the same month. The two consultants have submitted inception reports and are implementing the agreed action plans. The International Training Specialist has submitted a 2013 Annual Training Program to BDA & will implement the program in 2013.
6) BDA, with the support of financial consultant, has developed Modified Conditional Cash Trnsfers (MCCT) guidelines to implement the Social Development Program. ADB approved these guidelines in July 2011. Implemention of the following five interventions under the Social Development Program is in Progress.
i) Power Connection for Wutung Village Household: PNG Power limited has delivered the necessary materials and equipment needed for the power connection to Vanimo. The EA and PPL have agreed on the implementation of this activity.
ii) Construction of toilets for individual households and shared septic tanks: Under this intervention, the project will construct shared septic tanks and toilets to improve the environment and people's health. After discussions with the BDA, the community has agreed to a pipeline alignment & septic tank locations. The BDA will commence work with the villagers to construct 25 toilets and 4 septic tanks.
iii) Provision of School Fee Subsidy to at-risk children: Under this intervention, BDA provides financial assistance to at-risk children to encourage them to attend school up to grade 8. BDA has made payments to 11 at-risk children for this school year in March 2012 and BDA expects to make the payments in 2013 school year.
iv) Financial assistance to pregnant women for regular check-ups: Under this intervention the project will assist pregnant mothers to go for regular medical check-ups. The BDA made the first lot of payments to 9 pregnant mothers in March 2012. Since then the number has decreased because of traveling distance and associated problems. The community has agreed with BDA to renovate existing aid post in the village to provide clinical facilities for the pregnant mothers and also the whole community. The EA's consultant will prepare the scope, design and costs estimates for this facility.
v) HIV/AIDS Prevention: Under this intervention, the EA will support (i) public awareness, (ii) HIV Monitoring & detection. The improvement of the existing health facility in the community will be used for antenatal medical assistance, HIV/AIDS awareness, monitoring and detection and a also for a wide range of other health services.