The following activities have been implemented or are currently being developed:
1. Supported the participation of some government officials of countries from countries with high carbon emissions in the Asia Low Emissions Development Strategy (LEDS) workshops. The workshops were aimed to increase understanding of available public-sector and private-sector mechanisms to finance growth and build capacity to access financing for green growth and low emissions development.
2. Supported the establishment of the Pilot Program for Climate Resilience (PPCR) in Tajikistan, a multi-donor initiative aimed at piloting climate change adaptation in developing countries most vulnerable to climate change impacts.
3. Supported the National Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb (CFL) project in Pakistan in successfully registering with United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and is the first Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) Program of Activity (PoA) in Central Asia. The lessons learned in preparing the PoA can be replicated by other Central and West Asian (CWA) Developing Member Countries (DMCs) in accessing climate finance.
4. Supported the Alternative Energy Development Board (AEDB) of Pakistan in developing their Medium Term Renewable Energy Policy Framework; and provided training and capacity development for AEDB to better serve Pakistan's Alternative and Renewable Energy (ARE) interests and guide ARE-related decision making.
5. Developed and applied climate change screening in CWRD's operations to integrate climate change interventions into project designs. The number of projects being screened has been steadily increasing. Among the projects screened are (a) the Talimarjan Clean Energy Project which integrated basic GHG accounting measures and developed a CDM Project Design Document to access potential carbon finance; (b) the Amu Bukhara Irrigation System Rehabilitation which integrates climate change measures in the project design; and (c) the Toktogul Rehabilitation Phase 2 which integrated a climate change risk and vulnerability assessment as part of its due diligence.
6. Provided Climate Change Thematic Assessments in ADB Country Partnership Strategies (CPS) for Tajikistan and the Kyrgyz Republic, ensuring that climate change is considered in the country programming.
7. Produced (a) leaflets on the PPCR-Tajikistan; (b) the video Tajikistan: Meeting the Climate Challenge ; and (c) the ADB CWA working paper on Climate Change and Sustainable Water Management in Central Asia .
8. Developed GIS-based wind and solar investment and resource maps for the 10 CWA countries in support of promoting renewable energy policy, technologies, and investments. ADB has utilized these maps for project site selection, capacity building, awareness campaigns, and business development in projects.
9. Currently developing a GIS-based climate screening tool which will strengthen: (a) screening of projects for climate change and variability risk; (b) identification of potentially vulnerable communities, sectors, and infrastructures; (c) baselining of DMC carbon emissions; and (d) monitoring and evaluating project performance.