|Description of Project Outputs
1. Strenghtened institutional and professional capacity of local chambers of commerce (CCIs)
2. Action plan on value chains mapping
3. Action plan on cluster development
4. Awareness workshops on SMEs participation in the GVCs
5. Trade and Investment Forum
|Status of Implementation Progress (Outputs, Activities, and Issues)
1. Working with the Mekong Institute, the TA has developed Training module s comprises: Module 1 Trade and investment Promotion -Role of CCI ; Module 2 Integration of SMEs of EWEC in Global Value Chain ; Module 3 Business Networking with SMEs in EWEC suggested tools and methods for developing business clusters and networks. Module 4 Trade and Investment promotion Strategies enhanced the participants' understanding on effective trade fair management, management information systems, the need and importance of trade fairs and Steps for Planning a Trade Event, management practices and promotion.
EWEC CCI staff received training in these modules, and follow up trainings suing these modules and field practiced provided by Mekong Institute under its own project in collaboration with this TA.
2. Field consultations with local CCIs, business associations, farmer groups, supermarket chains, and exporters were conducted. An action plan on mapping organic vegetable value chain and a Practitioners' Guide on Organic Vegetable Value Chain were finalized in Jan-June 2011.
A training workshop on mapping organic vegetable value chain for CCIs, production groups, suppliers and exporters in the value chain was organized in May 2011 to map steps in integrating organic vegetable producers into value chains, and build networking among them.
3. Between July-October 2011, consultations and fieldworks to establish organic vegetable production clusters along the EWEC were conducted. An action on establishment of the organic production clusters was prepared and finalized. Four types of organic production cluster were formally established for the EWEC.
A training workshop on establishment of organic vegetable production clusters was conducted on 11-20 October in Viet Nam, Lao PDR and Thailand for CCIs, organic production clusters, supermarket and hypermarket supplier firms, collection, branding and packing firms, and exporters.
4. An organic vegetable value chain trade forum was organized on 21 October 2011 to link cluster with national, regional and global value chains, and build networking for future development and expansion of such clusters.
A number of representatives from projects financed by other development partners such as JICA, Hevitaz, SNV, and GIZ also attended these workshops and trade forum.