1. Operational action plan for improved portfolio management. Tripartite Portfolio Review Meetings (TPRM) were conducted in December 2014 and February 2015. The next TPRM is scheduled for mid-August 2015. A Portfolio and Government Relationship Manager has now been fully in place and is contributing substantially to coordinating ADB's portfolio with GOM.
2. Updated ERMD Operations Manual (OM). The manual has been prepared and is being updated regularly.
3. Training, seminars, and workshops organized for MOFT/IA staff. (a) Special seminar on disbursement and procurement were conducted for concerned EA and IA staff; (b) four staff members from MOFT were sent to Singapore for an international training on contracts management. A detailed portfolio review training (with staff inputs from OSFMD, CTL, and SARD Front Office) is to take place in August. Regular briefings and knowledge sharing sessions (along with the portfolio matters) are organized during the TPRMs. Finally, a proposal for a study tour of MOFT officials to Sri Lanka has been discussed with SLRM and is being prepared by MOFT.
4. Improved communication and coordination with the Government. The portfolio management officer in place has helped such communication and coordination; as has the videoconference facilities in MOFT (which, currently, is being refitted after the relevant division in the Ministry underwent some renovations).
5. Capacity assessment reports on governance, economic growth, and environment. All relevant assessment reports in conjunction with the CPS will be prepared in the next 6-8 months. In addition: (a) Manuscript for publication on the partnership between ADB and Maldives has been typeset, and approved for printing after incorporation of feedback from government; (b) work on the national development strategy is underway; the draft is expected within the coming weeks; and (c) knowledge partnership work with the Maldives Inland Revenue Authority and the Maldives Monetary Authority is ongoing.
1. As requested by the Government of Maldives during the ADB consultation missions in February 2015 and May 2015, a minor change in TA scope is needed to further build the capacity of MOFT to manage the ADB portfolio in the country and to ensure that the CPS preparation work is done to quality and with rigor. Based on this, a memo with a request to increase the TA amount by $500,000.00 (bringing the total amount to $825,000); and extend the TA completion date to 31 December 2017 was forwarded to Management on 14 July 2015. Management approval (Vice President [Operations 1]) was obtained on 16 July 2015.
2. A copy of the draft report on National Development Strategy of Maldives was shared with ADB in July 2015. More work remains and work still needs to be done with inputs required from some concerned agencies of the Government.
3. In response to the Government''s request for assistance in capacity enhancement, particularly in the area of database and management information system, a Senior Information Technology Specialist (Communication and Networks) from ADB went on mission to Maldives in August 2015 to: (i) capture the needs of MOFT in database management and data/information archiving system; (ii) review the existing database management and data/information archiving system at MOFT and identify the gaps that need to be filled; and (iii) recommend specific steps that MOFT can take to put in place a new system (with respect to connectivity, management, hardware, software, and systems).
4. The next TPRM is tentatively scheduled in October 2015. The country team is liaising with the concerned divisions in ADB.