ADB Southeast Asia Support to the Coral Triangle Initiative
The ADB has been fully involved from the start in providing technical and financial support to the Coral Triangle Initiative on Coral Reefs, Fisheries, and Food Security.
The Coral Triangle's marine and coastal resources are at risk from continued threats from climate change-induced processes as well as from human activities. Consequently, the Coral Triangle Initiative on Coral Reefs, Fisheries and Food Security (CTI) was launched in 2007 as a six-country (Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, the Philippines, Solomon Islands, and Timor-Leste) program or regional cooperation to protect the Coral Triangle's economic and environmental assets.
ADB has been fully involved from the start in providing technical and financial support to the CTI. Its program supports the implementation of the national and regional plans of action of the initiative through:
- improved management of coastal and marine resources,
- increased resilience of coastal and marine ecosystems and human communities in the Coral Triangle countries,
- institutional strengthening,
- development of alternative livelihoods for poor coastal communities, and
- the promotion of regional cooperation.
This brochure gives an overview of six Coral Triangle Initiative projects supported by ADB's Southeast Asia Department.