Asia Small and Medium-sized Enterprise (SME) Finance Monitor 2013
This publication reviews the small and medium-sized enterprise sector and the state of SME finance in 14 countries in Asia and and the Pacific.
This inaugural volume of the annual Asia Small and Medium-sized Enterprise (SME) Finance Monitor supports the efforts of ADB's developing member countries to design a comprehensive range of policy options that promote innovative instruments and services in SME finance through the provision of timely and comparative data with in-depth analyses.
This report's highlights include the following:
- SMEs are the backbone of Asia’s economies. Further development can support inclusive growth, employment, and the effort to overcome middle-income traps;
- Poor access to finance limits the ability of SMEs to survive and grow. Further bank efficiency is needed;
- Limitations of bank lending require diversified SME financing models;
- Access to finance is a critical part of SME policies;
- SME finance policies focus on bankability; more work is needed on nonbank financing;
- SME finance policies should be addressed in a holistic manner that goes beyond already established ways.
About the Asia SME Finance Monitor 2013
The Asia SME Finance Monitor 2013 is the knowledge sharing product on SMEs in Asia and the Pacific, specially focusing on SME access to finance. The Monitor reviews various country aspects of SME finance covering the banking sector, nonbank sector, and capital markets. It is expected to support evidence-based policy making and regulations on SME finance in the region.
The Asia SME Finance Monitor reviews the SME sector and the state of finance in 14 countries from the five ADB regions of Central Asia, East Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, and the Pacific.
- Rationale and Methodology
- Regional SME Finance Update
- Thematic Discussion: Supply Chain Finance for SMEs in Asia - Trends and Key Challenges
- Country Reviews
- People's Republic of China
- Republic of Korea
- Papua New Guinea
- Solomon Islands
- Sri Lanka
- Viet Nam