Asian Development Outlook 2002: Preferential Trade Agreements in Asia and the Pacific
This 14th edition of the Asian Development Outlook provides a comprehensive analysis of 41 economies in Asia and the Pacific, based on the Asian Development Bank's in-depth knowledge of the region.
For the first time, the Outlook includes a section on Afghanistan. It also provides a broad diagnosis of macroeconomic conditions and growth prospects as they relate to progress in poverty reduction in the economies of the region.
Economic growth in developing Asia and the Pacific slowed markedly in 2001 after a strong performance in 1999 and 2000. This is mainly on account of a sharp erosion of external demand as industrial economies experienced recession or very slow growth. There are, however, several exceptions to the general trend with a number of economies, notably the People's Republic of China, maintaining relatively high growth. In some economies, domestic demand, responding to expansionary policy, emerged as a more important source of growth. The outlook for 2002 and 2003 is for renewed optimism.
The Outlook includes a special chapter reviewing preferential trade agreements, with particular reference to Asia and the Pacific. As international trade grew rapidly in the 1990s, so did the number of such agreements, especially in the region. The chapter analyzes the impact of such agreements, in the context of the multilateral trade negotiations being carried out under the auspices of the World Trade Organization.
The Asian Development Outlook 2002 features:
- A review of global economic trends as well as an overview of aggregate trends and medium-term prospects by main subregion in Asia and the Pacific.
- Macroeconomic profiles and prospects for 41 economies in the region, including growth, saving and investment, employment, inflation, monetary and fiscal developments, and trade and balance of payments, as well as an analysis of policy issues.
- An analysis of preferential trade agreements as they relate to the Asia and Pacific region.
- A statistical appendix detailing historical trends and projections for major economic indicators.
- Acknowledgments, Contents, Acronyms and Abbreviations, and Definitions
- Part I: Developing Asia and the World
- Developing Asia and the World
- Overview of 2001 Developing Asian Economic Trends
- External Conditions in 2001 and 2002
- Subregional Trends and Prospects
- Medium-Term Outlook and Risks for Developing Asia
- Part II: Economic Trends and Prospects in Developing Asia
- East Asia
- People's Republic of China
- Hong Kong, China
- Republic of Korea
- Southeast Asia
- Lao People's Democratic Republic
- Viet Nam
- South Asia
- Sri Lanka
- Central Asian Republics
- Kyrgyz Republic
- The Pacific
- Cook Islands
- East Timor
- Fiji Islands
- Marshall Islands
- Federated States of Micronesia
- Papua New Guinea
- Solomon Islands
- East Asia
- Part III: Preferential Trade Agreements in Asia and the Pacific
- Statistical Appendix