Building a Sustainable Energy Future: The Greater Mekong Subregion
Developing the energy sector will help realize an integrated and prosperous Mekong subregion.
An integrated, prosperous, and equitable Mekong subregion is the vision of the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) Economic Cooperation Program. Developing the energy sector is critical to realizing this vision. The results of the formal energy modeling exercise make a strong case for pursuing an integrated regional energy strategy. Targeted and sustained policy actions, including reforms, are necessary for a viable GMS energy strategy. Private sector participation is also key in accomplishing this goal.
This book synthesizes the output of the consultative process undertaken by the Asian Development Bank's technical assistance to develop a GMS energy strategy, and proposes concrete actions for a cleaner, brighter energy future for the subregion.
- Executive Summary
- Coming Together: The Greater Mekong Subregion
- Emerging Challenges in the Greater Mekong Subregion
- Why Integrate the Energy Sector?
- The Economics of Energy Integration
- Energy Trade under the GMS Integrated Scenario
- A Shared Energy Future: What Will It Take?
- A Shared Energy Future: Acting Now