Central Mekong Delta Region Connectivity Project: Rapid Climate Change Threat and Vulnerability Assessment
This report illustrates the use of a rapid climate impact assessment on how climate change is likely to influence the performance of a transport link in the Mekong Delta.
The Central Mekong Delta Region Connectivity Project aims to enhance connectivity across provinces of southern Viet Nam and Ho Chi Minh City. It includes two major bridges, a 15-kilometer road connecting the two bridges, and approach roads. Given the high exposure of the Mekong Delta to severe flooding, a climate risk and vulnerability assessment was conducted to assess the vulnerability of the project to climate change.
The assessment report provides a better understanding of climate change threats to the project infrastructure. It also provides project stakeholders with information necessary for consensus building for the adoption of a robust approach to responding to climate change. The study illustrates that a constrained time frame and limited resources may not be significant impediments to the undertaking of climate risk vulnerability assessments, which can provide valuable information at the project design stage to increase the climate resilience of large investment projects.
While differences emerged as to the projected impacts of climate change, consensus on the magnitude and scope of adaptation was reached through continued dialogue and weighing response options and costs. Among other things, the study served the following purposes:
- it provided a deeper understanding of climate change threats generally in the Mekong basin as well as how the infrastructure will be affected by extreme climate change events;
- it offered a better appreciation of the need to incorporate climate change risk assessments and generate a body of knowledge over time; and
- it served as a consensus-building tool for project financiers and the government of Viet Nam to adapt a better strategy for climate change response.
- Climate Change Threat Assessment
- Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment
- Climate Proofing Measures: From Technical Assessment to Adoption
- Conclusions and Recommendations