The Challenges of Doing Business in Papua New Guinea (2014)
The business environment of Papua New Guinea has improved since 2002, but doing business remains extremely challenging. Efforts to improve the business environment will help create a foundation for sustained, inclusive, and diversified economic growth, which builds on that generated by the resource boom.
This report summarizes key results from a business survey in Papua New Guinea (PNG) in 2012. It provides insights and suggestions for policy makers, and acts as a resource for anyone interested in PNG's development.
Comparative analysis using data from similar surveys in 2002 and 2007 offers insights into changes in the business environment since 2002. These comparisons highlight the impact of the 2011 constitutional crisis, and the acceleration of economic growth since 2007.
- Structure and Composition of the 2012 Survey
- Constraints Identified in Previous Surveys
- Summary of Key Findings
- Key Policy Recommendations
- Analysis of the Business Environment - 2012, 2007, and 2002
- Political Uncertainty
- Business Security, Crime, and the Courts
- Government Regulations and Policies
- Government-Business Relationships
- Infrastructure and Public Services
- Supporting Institutions
- Constraints to Business and Investment
- Going Forward