At the Margins: Street Children in Asia and the Pacific
This report is a study commissioned by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) on best practice concerning street children in the Asia-Pacific region, and potential areas of strategic intervention for ADB. In May 2001, an ADB-Nongovernment Organization (NGO) Roundtable on Street Children was held with a number of Philippines-based NGOs. A subsequent internal ADB meeting in June 2001 recommended greater involvement by ADB in street children issues within the context of it's Poverty Reduction Strategy, ADB's Social Protection Strategy, and related policies and development priorities. The report is based on a literature survey and the experience of the author in the region.
- Executive Summary
- Who are Street Children?
- At the Margins? Daily Life, Issues, and Causes
- Welfare of Street Children Across the Region
- Frameworks and Principles for Intervention
- Methods of Implementation
- Practice and Examples
- Governments and Nongovernment Organizations