- Key Facts
- Board of Governors
- Board of Directors
- Departments and Offices
- Policies and Strategies
- Annual Meetings
- Independent Evaluation
- Public Sector (Sovereign) Financing
- Private Sector (Nonsovereign) Financing
- Funds and Resources
- Asian Development Fund
- Investor Information
- Business Opportunities
- Consulting Services
- ADB-Japan Scholarship Program
- News & Events
- Data & Research
- Industry and Trade
- Information and Communication Technology
- Public Sector Management
- Social Protection
- Capacity Development
- Climate Change
- Environmental Sustainability
- Gender and Development
- Poverty Reduction
- Private Sector Development
- Regional Cooperation and Integration
- Social Development
- Urban Development
- Brunei Darussalam-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East ASEAN Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA)
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC)
- Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS)
- Indonesia-Malaysia-Thailand Growth Triangle (IMT-GT)
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC)
- European Representative Office
- Japanese Representative Office [日本語]
- North American Representative Office
- Pacific Liaison and Coordination Office
- Pacific Subregional Office
Countries with Operations
- China, People's Republic of [中文]
- Cook Islands
- Kyrgyz Republic
- Lao PDR
- Marshall Islands
- Micronesia, Federated States of
- Papua New Guinea
Process for Receiving Complaints
View chart in higher resolution.
Step 1: Receiving and registering the complaint
Within 2 days of receiving the complaint
- The complaint is filed with the complaint-receiving officer.
- The complaint-receiving officer informs the Special Project Facilitator, the Compliance Review Panel chair, and the operations department about the complaint, with a copy of the complaint letter.
- The complaint-receiving officer registers the complaint on the Accountability Mechanism website.
- Complaints received by other ADB departments should be forwarded to the complaint-receiving officer.
- The complaint-receiving officer ensures the confidentiality of complainants’ identities if requested.
Step 2: Acknowledging the complaint
Within 2 days of receiving the complaint
- The complaint-receiving officer acknowledges receipt of the complaint and sends an information packet to the complainants.
- The complaint-receiving officer gives complainants who have clearly chosen for either problem solving or compliance review 21 calendar days to change their choice and to notify the complaint-receiving officer.
- If the choice is not clear, the complaint-receiving officer requests complainants to clarify their choice.
Step 3: Forwarding the complaint
Within 5 days after the 21- day deadline for complainants to change their choice
The complaint-receiving officer decides to forward the complaint for handling to
- the Special Project Facilitator, or
- the Compliance Review Panel chair, or
- other departments or offices (if the complaint falls outside the Accountability Mechanism mandate).
The complaint-receiving officer sends his/her decision to
- the Special Project Facilitator;
- the Compliance Review Panel chair;
- the operations department; and
- other departments or offices, if any.
- If there are no objections to the complaint-receiving officer’s decision (see note below), the complaint-receiving officer will forward the complaint to the relevant party to be handled.
Note: Within 3 days of the complaint-receiving officer’s decision, the Special Project Facilitator, Compliance Review Panel chair, operations department or any other relevant department or office may object if they feel that the complaint-receiving officer has misinterpreted the complainants’ choice of function.
Returning complaint to complainants (if needed)
The complaint-receiving officer will return the complaint to the complainants with a request to clarify the choice of function if
- the choice was unclear; or
- an objection is raised by the Special Project Facilitator, Compliance Review Panel chair, operations department, or other relevant department or office.
- The complainants must clarify their choice within 60 calendar days of the complaint-receiving officer’s request for clarification.
Note: If the complaint needs to be returned, the complaint-receiving officer again sends the information packet to explain the two available functions.
Step 4: Informing the complainants
Within 2 days of forwarding the complaint to the relevant party, or failure of the complainants to clarify their choice
- The complaint-receiving officer informs the complainants and their representative(s), if any, which party will handle the complaint and the contact person(s).
- If the complainants did not clarify their choice within 60 calendar days, the complaint-receiving officer informs them that the Accountability Mechanism process has ended.