- Key Facts
- Board of Governors
- Board of Directors
- Departments and Offices
- Policies and Strategies
- Annual Meetings
- Independent Evaluation
- Public Sector (Sovereign) Financing
- Private Sector (Nonsovereign) Financing
- Funds and Resources
- Asian Development Fund
- Investor Information[日本語]
- Business Opportunities
- Consulting Services
- ADB-Japan Scholarship Program
- News & Events
- Data & Research
- Industry and Trade
- Information and Communication Technology
- Public Sector Management
- Social Protection
- Capacity Development
- Climate Change
- Environmental Sustainability
- Gender and Development
- Poverty Reduction
- Private Sector Development
- Regional Cooperation and Integration
- Social Development
- Urban Development
- Brunei Darussalam-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East ASEAN Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA)
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC)
- Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS)
- Indonesia-Malaysia-Thailand Growth Triangle (IMT-GT)
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC)
- European Representative Office
- Japanese Representative Office [日本語]
- North American Representative Office
- Pacific Liaison and Coordination Office
- Pacific Subregional Office
Countries with Operations
- China, People's Republic of [中文]
- Cook Islands
- Indonesia [Bahasa Indonesia]
- Kyrgyz Republic
- Lao PDR
- Marshall Islands
- Micronesia, Federated States of
- Papua New Guinea
Internship Program: Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the purpose of the internship program?
The Internship Program helps ADB enhance a platform to exchange and generate knowledge with external partners. It also enables ADB to identify potential future staff.
2. What is the duration of the internship?
The duration should be a minimum of eight (8) weeks (56 days) and a maximum of 26 weeks or six (6) months for one internship assignment.
3. Can students apply directly to ADB?
Yes. Students can apply directly online through the ADB Recruitment Center (ARC). They do not have to be nominated by their schools. Their schools are no longer required to register with ADB.
4. Can students directly inquire from ADB?
Yes. Students may send their inquiries to email@example.com.
5. Is there an internship opportunity in ADB for undergraduate students?
No. The ADB Internship Program accommodates only post-graduate level students.
6. What is the procedure for applying to ADB Internships?
ADB public site under the Internship Program link will have the internship guidelines and application process posted. It is highly advisable to read the site thoroughly to ensure proper understanding of the selection and application process.
7. When is the deadline for submission of application?
Internship assignments are posted with complete information including the deadline for submission in the ADB.org site. Applicants must be able to apply at the required time indicated in the website.
8. Can I apply for an ADB Internship even if I am not a national of any of its members but enrolled in a school in one of the ADB members?
No. Internship candidates have to be nationals of ADB members.
9. Can I apply for an internship even if I have a relative in ADB?
No. ADB does not accept applications from close relatives (e.g. below) of ADB staff.
|Nephew||Cousin (child of an aunt or uncle)|
10. I am a spouse of an ADB International staff. Can I apply?
Yes, only if the eligibility requirements are met.
11. Do I get paid for ADB's internships?
Stipend is provided to all interns according to the location of internships up to 56 calendar days. Interns may choose to work beyond 56 calendar days in agreement with the designated supervisors, but without stipend. Exception to receiving stipend would be interns who fall under the special arrangement category between select schools and ADB.
12. What are the expenses expected during the internship?
Interns are to shoulder accommodation and transportation; part of the airfare and food expense. Interns are provided with an I-Pay card; these are pre-loaded cards with a limited monetary value to cover food expenses at the ADB Cafeteria Dining Facility for Manila-based internships. Interns assigned to Field Offices are provided with cash food allowance.
Also, the purchase of a comprehensive insurance coverage for the entire period of the internship prior to departure to Manila is a strict requirement.
13. Does ADB assist interns with airfare expense?
Upon intern’s appointment, ADB provides a limited amount to cover part of the airfare travel cost should air travel be necessary between the internship location and the authorized point of origin (i.e. school location).
14. I am interested in internships at one of the Resident Missions, what shall I do?
Internship assignments are mostly based at the ADB's headquarters in Manila, Philippines. Resident Missions may offer assignments and the locations are specified in the posting. Resident Mission based internships for local students from local schools usually follow a different timetable. They are also announced in the website.
15. How do I know if I am selected?
The application site features an update of each application whether it is for evaluation, regret or hired. ADB HR informs successful applicants directly through email.
16. Do I get to travel during my internship assignment?
As a general rule, interns are not allowed to travel during the internship assignment.
17. My nationality requires me to apply for a visa. Will ADB apply for my visa?
In case of Manila based internships, you must ensure your passport is valid at least for 6 months prior to arrival and upon departure from Manila. If your nationality requires you entry-visa, ADB will request it from the Philippine Embassy of your location, and you will apply for visa accordingly.
18. What are the working hours?
The regular work schedule is 8:00 am to 5:00 pm with one-hour lunch break. Any other preferred schedule should be discussed with supervisors.
19. Can a past intern apply for another internship with ADB?
Past interns are ineligible to apply for another internship with ADB.
20. Can I get employment with ADB after completing the internship?
Completing an internship does not automatically qualify for an employment with ADB; however, ADB welcomes former interns to apply for jobs after they graduate from schools.