In the Spotlight
Safeguards Operational Review: ADB Processes, Portfolio, Country Systems, and Financial Intermediaries
Examines ADB’s approach to support the strengthening and effective application of country safeguard systems, and the degree and effectiveness of the implementation of safeguard requirements for financial intermediary projects.
Assesses the strategic relevance of technical assistance (TA) within ADB and how TA and its associated management processes ADB can better contribute to development effectiveness.
This book marks 10 years of independent evaluation at the Asian Development Bank. It shares the journey to organizational and financial independence of evaluation and the transformation in evaluation approaches to effectively support accountability and learning.
On 9-10 September 2014, Independent Evaluation at ADB hosted a learning event that explored the links between evaluation, learning, innovation and change, with a focus on governance, inequality, and environmental sustainability. Presentations, photo gallery, and intro videos now available.
The Independent Evaluation Department (IED) independently and systematically evaluates ADB policies, strategies, operations, and special concerns that relate to organizational and operational effectiveness. By doing so, it contributes to achieving development effectiveness of ADB operations by providing evaluation feedback on performance, and generating and disseminating evaluation lessons.
There are two levels of evaluation in ADB:
- self-evaluation, conducted by those responsible for designing and implementing a country strategy, program, or project
- independent evaluation undertaken by IED
- Annual Evaluation Reviews
- Country Assistance Program Evaluations
- Sector Assistance Program Evaluations
- Special Evaluation Studies
- Impact Evaluation Studies
- Syntheses of Evaluation Findings
- Project/Program Performance Evaluations
- Technical Assistance Performance Evaluation Reports
- Validations of Project Completion Reports
- Validations of Country Partnership Strategy Final Reviews
- Evaluation Knowledge Studies
- Learning Curves
- Learning Lessons