Private Sector (Nonsovereign) Financing
In the Spotlight
ADB is providing loan assistance of up to $65 million for a new private sector hydropower project in Pakistan which will continue the country’s drive to overcome power shortages, and strengthen its energy security. (Photo: Ghazi Barotha Hydropower Project-7 by James Hutcheson)
ADB is expanding its Trade Finance Program in Nepal by an additional $40 million to help banks finance import of much needed goods to support reconstruction and immediate needs in response to the recent earthquake.
Smallholder spice farmers in India receive training, advice, and financial support through a private sector initiative that promotes sustainable farming. Learn more from Q&A with Akay Flavours & Aromatics.
This publication briefly describes the Private Sector Operations Department, its main goal, sector focus, and portfolios and case studies in 2014.
Read how ADB, governments, people, and organizations work together to deliver sustained and inclusive results, making knowledge, innovation, and collaboration into a powerful combination that can help transform ADB's vision into reality.
The substantial lending volume reflects Asia’s continued need for development assistance, despite impressive growth and poverty reduction efforts in recent years.
As a catalyst for private investments, ADB provides direct financial assistance to private sector projects. While ADB’s participation is usually limited, it leverages a large amount of funds from commercial sources to finance these projects. Projects must also have clear development impacts and/or demonstration effects that go beyond the benefits captured in the financial rate of return.
- 48325-001: PHI: 150 MW Burgos Wind Farm Project
- 46923-014: PAK: RURAL FINANCIAL INCLUSION AND DAIRY GROWTH FACILITY
- 47929-001: PAK: Gulpur Hydropower Project
- 48209-001: IND: ACME-EDF Solar Power
- 48901-014: Spice Value Chain Development
- 41924-014: NAM NGIEP 1 HYDROPOWER PROJECT
Trade Finance Program
- Participating Issuing Banks
- Participating Confirming Banks
- Asian Development Bank Trade Finance Survey: Major Findings
- ADB Private Sector Operations
- Development Effectiveness Report 2013: Private Sector Operations
- Summary of ADB's Nonsovereign Operations
- Harmonized Results Indicators
- Statement of ADB Operations
10.2(2014) Nonsovereign operations, in US$ billions
6.9(2014) Value of private sector approvals, in US$ billions
1.9(2014) Private sector approvals financed by ADB, in US$ billions