Private Sector (Nonsovereign) Financing
In the Spotlight
Michael Barrow, Deputy Director General of ADB's Private Sector Operations Department, writes in an op-ed about how MDBs like ADB remain relevant and sought after as core financiers of private infrastructure projects in Asia.
The conference will bring together stakeholders of the Cooperation Fund for Fighting HIV/AIDS to review the effectiveness and outcomes of the projects supported by the Fund.
ADB has raised Rs3 billion (about $50 million) from its maiden issuance of its $500 million offshore rupee-linked bond program, which aims to deepen India’s capital markets.
As a catalyst for private investments, ADB provides direct financial assistance to private sector projects. While ADB’s participation is usually limited, it leverages a large amount of funds from commercial sources to finance these projects. Projects must also have clear development impacts and/or demonstration effects that go beyond the benefits captured in the financial rate of return.
- 48325-001: PHI: 150 MW Burgos Wind Farm Project
- 46923-014: PAK: RURAL FINANCIAL INCLUSION AND DAIRY GROWTH FACILITY
- 47929-001: PAK: Gulpur Hydropower Project
- 48209-001: IND: ACME-EDF Solar Power
- 48901-014: Spice Value Chain Development
- 41924-014: NAM NGIEP 1 HYDROPOWER PROJECT
Trade Finance Program
- Participating Issuing Banks
- Participating Confirming Banks
- Asian Development Bank Trade Finance Survey: Major Findings
- ADB Private Sector Operations
- Development Effectiveness Report 2013: Private Sector Operations
- Summary of ADB's Nonsovereign Operations
- Harmonized Results Indicators
4.54(2013) Nonsovereign operations, in US$ billions
4.43(2013) Value of private sector approvals, in US$ billions
1.6(2013) Private sector approvals financed by ADB, in US$ billions