Country Safeguard Systems
ADB helps developing member countries (DMCs) strengthen their safeguard systems and develop their capacity to address environmental and social issues in development projects.
Country safeguard systems refer to the laws, regulations, rules, and procedures on the policy areas of environment, involuntary resettlement, and indigenous peoples safeguards, and their implementing institutions.
Since the approval of the Safeguard Policy Statement (SPS) in 2009, ADB has been providing technical assistance to help strengthen the legal and institutional framework for effectively implementing safeguards.
Strengthening country safeguard systems
Since 2009, ADB has been rendering technical assistance (TA) amounting to $25.875 million toward strengthening and effectively implementing country safeguard systems.
- TA 7566: Strengthening and Use of Country Safeguard Systems
- TA 7038: Enhancing the Legal and Administrative Framework for Land Project
- TA 7386: People's Republic of China: Strengthening Enforcement of Environmental Laws and Regulations
- TA 7433: Mainstreaming Land Acquisition and Resettlement Safeguards in the Central and West Asia Region
- TA 7548: Improving the Implementation of Environmental Safeguards in Central and West Asia
- TA 7474: Strengthening of Judicial Capacity to Adjudicate upon Environmental Laws and Regulations
- TA 7735: Building Capacity for Environmental Prosecution, Adjudication, Dispute Resolution, Compliance, and Enforcement in Asia
- TA 8309: Capacity Building for Enhanced Safeguards Management in Pakistan
- TA 8274: Improving the Implementation of Safeguard Policy Applications in Selected South Asia DMCs
- TA 8217: Strengthening Country Safeguard Systems in the Transport Sector (Solomon Islands)
- TA 8210: Preparation of Regulations and Capacity Development Plan for Involuntary Resettlement (Mongolia)
- TA 8428: Strengthening Safeguards Capacity in the Urban Sector in Kiribati
- TA 8569: Improving Safeguard Policy Applications in South Asia Developing Member Countries
- TA 8548: Aligning Asian Development Bank and Country Systems for Improved Project Performance (Indonesia)
- TA 8663: Sustainable Environmental Management of Projects in Central and West Asia
Workshops and conferences
The Country Safeguard Systems Regional Workshop: Towards Common Approaches and Better Results was held on 18 and 19 April 2012 to share knowledge and experiences and to promote common approaches and partnerships to strengthen country systems for addressing environmental and social issues. It was attended by representatives 15 developing member countries, 9 bilateral and multilateral agencies, civil society, and the private sector.
On 9-10 June 2010, the Regional Workshop on Environmental Impact Assessment in Asia: Good Practices and Capacity Needs was held to provide a comprehensive overview of the current status of EIA policy and practice internationally and within the region. The workshop was attended by senior environmental agency officials and technical experts from 20 countries across Asia and the Pacific, international EIA experts, and representatives from MDBs and bilateral agencies.
TA 7566: Strengthening and Use of Country Safeguard Systems
This technical assistance supports activities that help align country safeguard systems with international good practices through a series of country-driven subprojects. Approved subprojects include:
- Subproject Proposal - Bangladesh: Strengthening Environmental Impact Assessment System and Its Implementation Practices
- Subproject Proposal - Cambodia: Preparation of Draft Sub Decree on Informal Settlers
- Subproject Proposal - Indonesia: Capacity Development for Social Safeguard Preparation and Implementation in Water Resource Management and Energy in Indonesia
- Subproject Proposal - Indonesia: Strengthening Capacity of Indonesia’s Environmental Assessment (AMDAL) System
- Subproject Proposal - Kazakhstan: Strengthening Community Consultation and GRM in the Committee on Roads
- Subproject Proposal - Kyrgyz Republic: Strengthening Capacity for Strategic Environmental Assessment in the Kyrgyz Republic
- Subproject Proposal - Lao PDR: Strengthening WREA Capacity to Implement Lao Resettlement Policies
- Subproject Proposal - Mongolia: Improving Legal and Regulatory Framework for Environmental Impact Assessment in Mongolia
- Subproject Proposal - Mongolia: Reform of Legal and Regulatory Framework for Involuntary Resettlement (Phase I)
- Subproject Proposal - Mongolia: Reform of Legal and Regulatory Framework for Involuntary Resettlement (Phase II)
- Subproject Proposal - Myanmar: Capacity Building for Implementing Environment and Social Safeguards in Myanmar
- Subproject Proposal - Myanmar: Institutional Strengthening and Capacity Development for the Ministry of Construction on Environment and Social Safeguards
- Subproject Proposal - Nepal: Strengthening Involuntary Resettlement Safeguard Systems in Nepal
- Subproject Proposal - Pakistan: Environmental Training for Civil Servants in Pakistan
- Subproject Proposal - Papua New Guinea: Country Safeguard Review
- Subproject Proposal - Philippines: Enhancing the Philippine Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) System Improvement Initiatives
- Subproject Proposal - Timor-Leste: Developing Resettlement Safeguards Capacity in the Transport Sector in Timor-Leste
- Subproject Proposal - Timor-Leste: Strengthening the Regulatory Framework for EIA in Timor-Leste
- Subproject Proposal - Regional: EIA Clearinghouse and Capacity Strengthening through Twinning
- Subproject Proposal - Regional: ESMS Capacity-Building for Private Sector Financial Intermediaries
- Subproject Proposal - Sri Lanka: Supporting and Strengthening National-Level Capacity for a Country Involuntary Resettlement Safeguard System
- Subproject Proposal - Vanuatu: Strengthening Implementation Capacity for EIA in Vanuatu
- Subproject Proposal - Viet Nam: Capacity Development for the Implementation of the New Environment Decree
- Subproject Proposal - Viet Nam: Amending Viet Nam's 2003 Land Law and Its Implementing Decrees
- Subproject Proposal - Viet Nam: Mainstreaming Biodiversity Considerations into Country Environmental Safeguard System
TA 7566 builds on the work of TA 6285: Strengthening Country Safeguard Systems (2005-2010) which developed and tested an approach and methodology for reviewing country safeguard systems.