Country Safeguard Systems
ADB helps developing member countries (DMCs) strengthen their safeguard systems and develop their capacity to address environmental and social issues in development projects.
Country safeguard systems (CSS) refer to the laws, regulations, rules, and procedures on the policy areas of environment, involuntary resettlement, and indigenous peoples safeguards, and their implementing institutions.
Since the approval of the Safeguard Policy Statement (SPS) in 2009, ADB has been providing technical assistance to help strengthen the legal and institutional framework to efficiently employ safeguard systems.
Strengthening country safeguard systems
ADB has provided technical assistance (TA) amounting to $32.85 million toward strengthening and effectively implementing CSS since SPS was approved in 2009.
- TA 7566: Strengthening and Use of Country Safeguard Systems
- TA 7038: Enhancing the Legal and Administrative Framework for Land Project
- TA 7386: People's Republic of China: Strengthening Enforcement of Environmental Laws and Regulations
- TA 7433: Mainstreaming Land Acquisition and Resettlement Safeguards in the Central and West Asia Region
- TA 7548: Improving the Implementation of Environmental Safeguards in Central and West Asia
- TA 7474: Strengthening of Judicial Capacity to Adjudicate upon Environmental Laws and Regulations
- TA 7735: Building Capacity for Environmental Prosecution, Adjudication, Dispute Resolution, Compliance, and Enforcement in Asia
- TA 8309: Capacity Building for Enhanced Safeguards Management in Pakistan
- TA 8274: Improving the Implementation of Safeguard Policy Applications in Selected South Asia DMCs
- TA 8217: Strengthening Country Safeguard Systems in the Transport Sector (Solomon Islands)
- TA 8210: Preparation of Regulations and Capacity Development Plan for Involuntary Resettlement (Mongolia)
- TA 8428: Strengthening Safeguards Capacity in the Urban Sector in Kiribati
- TA 8569: Improving Safeguard Policy Applications in South Asia Developing Member Countries
- TA 8548: Aligning Asian Development Bank and Country Systems for Improved Project Performance (Indonesia)
- TA 8663: Sustainable Environmental Management of Projects in Central and West Asia
- TA 8680: Capacity Development and Facilitation for Planning and Implementation of Resettlement Activities under the GMS: Rehabilitation of the Railway in Cambodia Project (Cambodia)
- TA 8701: Study on the National Control of the Important Air Pollutant - Volatile Organic Compounds (People’s Republic of China)
- TA 8714: Promoting Carbon Capture and Storage in the People's Republic of China and Indonesia
- TA 8733: Wastewater Management Improvement in Colombo Municipal Council (Sri Lanka)
- TA 8734: Improving Energy Efficiency, Emission Control, and Compliance Management of the Manufacturing Industry (People’s Republic of China)
- TA 8737: Supporting Good Governance through Safeguards in Ministries of Lands and Environment (Solomon Islands)
- TA 8786: Environmental Safeguards Institutional Strengthening (Myanmar)
- TA 8810: Strengthening Resettlement and Income Restoration Implementation (Cambodia)
Workshops and conferences
The Country Safeguard Systems Regional Workshop: Towards Common Approaches and Better Results was held on 18 and 19 April 2012 to share knowledge and experiences and to promote common approaches and partnerships to strengthen CSS in addressing environmental and social issues. It was attended by representatives from 15 DMCs, 9 bilateral and multilateral agencies, civil society, and the private sector.
Following its success, the Second Regional Workshop on Strengthening Country Safeguard Systems was organized on 7-9 October 2014. Centered on ‘convergence and alignment,’ the workshop endeavored to further strengthen CSS with the ultimate goal of attaining international best practices. The workshop gathered key partners from government and private sector in the DMCs, international financial institutions, and civil society organizations. About 100 safeguard and relevant professionals shared their experiences on CSS while experts in the field shed light on latest CSS developments and explored ideas in overcoming challenges on convergence and alignment.
Previously, the Regional Workshop on Environmental Impact Assessment in Asia: Good Practices and Capacity Needs was held on 9-10 June 2010 to provide a comprehensive overview of the current status of EIA policy and practice internationally and within the region. The workshop was attended by senior environmental agency officials and technical experts from 20 countries across Asia and the Pacific, international EIA experts, and representatives from MDBs and bilateral agencies.
TA 7566: Strengthening and Use of Country Safeguard Systems
This technical assistance supports activities that help align country safeguard systems with international good practices through a series of country-driven subprojects. Approved subprojects include:
- Subproject Proposal - Bangladesh: Strengthening Environmental Impact Assessment System and Its Implementation Practices
- Subproject Proposal - Cambodia: Preparation of Draft Sub Decree on Informal Settlers
- Subproject Proposal - Indonesia: Capacity Development for Social Safeguard Preparation and Implementation in Water Resource Management and Energy in Indonesia
- Subproject Proposal - Indonesia: Strengthening Capacity of Indonesia’s Environmental Assessment (AMDAL) System
- Subproject Proposal - Kazakhstan: Strengthening Community Consultation and GRM in the Committee on Roads
- Subproject Proposal - Kyrgyz Republic: Strengthening Capacity for Strategic Environmental Assessment in the Kyrgyz Republic
- Subproject Proposal - Lao PDR: Strengthening WREA Capacity to Implement Lao Resettlement Policies
- Subproject Proposal - Mongolia: Improving Legal and Regulatory Framework for Environmental Impact Assessment in Mongolia
- Subproject Proposal - Mongolia: Reform of Legal and Regulatory Framework for Involuntary Resettlement (Phase I)
- Subproject Proposal - Mongolia: Reform of Legal and Regulatory Framework for Involuntary Resettlement (Phase II)
- Subproject Proposal - Myanmar: Capacity Building for Implementing Environment and Social Safeguards in Myanmar
- Subproject Proposal - Myanmar: Institutional Strengthening and Capacity Development for the Ministry of Construction on Environment and Social Safeguards
- Subproject Proposal - Nepal: Strengthening Involuntary Resettlement Safeguard Systems in Nepal
- Subproject Proposal - Pakistan: Environmental Training for Civil Servants in Pakistan
- Subproject Proposal - Papua New Guinea: Country Safeguard Review
- Subproject Proposal - Philippines: Enhancing the Philippine Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) System Improvement Initiatives
- Subproject Proposal - Timor-Leste: Developing Resettlement Safeguards Capacity in the Transport Sector in Timor-Leste
- Subproject Proposal - Timor-Leste: Strengthening the Regulatory Framework for EIA in Timor-Leste
- Subproject Proposal - Regional: EIA Clearinghouse and Capacity Strengthening through Twinning
- Subproject Proposal - Regional: ESMS Capacity-Building for Private Sector Financial Intermediaries
- Subproject Proposal - Sri Lanka: Supporting and Strengthening National-Level Capacity for a Country Involuntary Resettlement Safeguard System
- Subproject Proposal - Vanuatu: Strengthening Implementation Capacity for EIA in Vanuatu
- Subproject Proposal - Viet Nam: Capacity Development for the Implementation of the New Environment Decree
- Subproject Proposal - Viet Nam: Amending Viet Nam's 2003 Land Law and Its Implementing Decrees
- Subproject Proposal - Viet Nam: Mainstreaming Biodiversity Considerations into Country Environmental Safeguard System
- Subproject Proposal - Viet Nam: Sharing Good Practice and Lessons Learned on Income Restoration Programs from Expressway Projects in Viet Nam
- Subproject Proposal - Regional: Training and Knowledge Sharing for CSS Strengthening in the Pacific
TA 7566 builds on the work of TA 6285: Strengthening Country Safeguard Systems (2005-2010) which developed and tested an approach and methodology for reviewing country safeguard systems.