- Key Facts
- Board of Governors
- Board of Directors
- Departments and Offices
- Policies and Strategies
- Annual Meetings
- Independent Evaluation
- Public Sector (Sovereign) Financing
- Private Sector (Nonsovereign) Financing
- Funds and Resources
- Asian Development Fund
- Investor Information[日本語]
- Business Opportunities
- Consulting Services
- ADB-Japan Scholarship Program
- News & Events
- Data & Research
- Industry and Trade
- Information and Communication Technology
- Public Sector Management
- Social Protection
- Capacity Development
- Climate Change
- Environmental Sustainability
- Gender and Development
- Poverty Reduction
- Private Sector Development
- Regional Cooperation and Integration
- Social Development
- Urban Development
- Brunei Darussalam-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East ASEAN Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA)
- Central Asia Regional Economic Cooperation (CAREC)
- Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS)
- Indonesia-Malaysia-Thailand Growth Triangle (IMT-GT)
- South Asia Subregional Economic Cooperation (SASEC)
- European Representative Office
- Japanese Representative Office [日本語]
- North American Representative Office
- Pacific Liaison and Coordination Office
- Pacific Subregional Office
Countries with Operations
- China, People's Republic of [中文]
- Cook Islands
- Indonesia [Bahasa Indonesia]
- Kyrgyz Republic
- Lao PDR
- Marshall Islands
- Micronesia, Federated States of
- Papua New Guinea
3 Apr 2014
The economic rise and successful urbanization of the People's Republic of China (PRC) offers lessons for the rest of Asia and the Pacific, say ADB's Stefan Rau and Maria Pia Ancora. As part of ADB’s South-South knowledge sharing support, the PRC Urban Knowledge Hub draws good practices in sustainable urban development from the PRC experience and disseminates them to other countries in the region.
7 Feb 2014
Countries in Asia and the Pacific need to prioritize investments in water supply and sanitation services to support vibrant and livable cities.
28 Oct 2013
Local authorities are looking for ways to make Asian cities safer for women, including lighting their streets, upgrading restrooms and training officials.
13 Sep 2013
A $50,000 pilot sanitation project in Myanmar shows that local infrastructure and services can be developed by communities and city governments in the informal settlements where they’re most needed.
19 Jul 2013
Bharatpur, one of Nepal’s fastest-growing municipalities, is taking steps to improve the urban environment, making the city more climate-resilient in the process.
26 Apr 2013
In India’s fast-growing Madhya Pradesh State, sanitation and sewerage initiatives, along with refurbishments to aging water treatment plants, are making way for urban development.
15 Apr 2013
An urban water and sewerage system project in the Indian state of Karnataka is improving people’s health and making cities like Mangalore more livable.
14 Feb 2013
Empowering women in South Asia can help address the twin issues of gender and urban poverty, say ADB's senior social development specialist Francesco Tornieri and urban development specialist Ron Slangen.
31 Jan 2013
Human and financial losses from natural disasters are rising fast in the Asia and Pacific region. While most Asian countries have disaster handling capabilities, few have adequate provisions for financing post-disaster losses and rehabilitation.
15 Aug 2012
Urban expansion in Asia presents both opportunities and challenges for the region and the world, as it can help address some environmental problems if managed well. Here are 12 things to know about green urbanization in Asia.