(Senior) Research Fellow/Economist
SHARE THIS PAGE
|Report to||Dean; and Vice Chair of Research|
|Location||ADBI, Tokyo, Japan|
|Date Posted||12 October 2023|
|Closing Date||27 November 2023|
The Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI) is seeking an experienced (Senior) Research Fellow/Economist. This Level C (senior) or Level D professional (international staff) position, depending on the experience of the successful applicant, will lead in the conduct of economic research and contribute substantially to the production and dissemination of research outputs and publications. This position will provide policy advice to middle to top-level policymakers and government officials in the Asia-Pacific region.
The required specializations are:
- Macroeconomics and financial economics, with a preferable focus monetary and international economics.
- Familiarity with advanced econometrics would be an advantage.
See ADBI's research program.
Economic research work
- Contribute substantially to ADBI publications and ADBI conferences/workshops.
- Lead in implementing an economic research program of the Department under the supervision of the Vice Chair of Research.
- Conduct independent work and publish high-quality research on policy-relevant issues in monetary economics, financial economics or macroeconomics;
- present your research at leading conferences worldwide, maintain a network and collaborate with other researchers in academia and at central banks;
- provide research-based policy advice, which may involve developing new models and tools;
- Take a lead role in research dissemination and networking.
- Lead the organization of ADBI conferences as part of ADBI’s knowledge management.
- Participate in activities organized with ADB Headquarters and/or other international organizations or development partners.
- Submit research articles for publications and comments to ADBI blog on own initiative.
- Take the role of task manager and supervisor for the work of research team members (e.g. consultants and research associates).
- Supervise the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
Technical knowledge and skills
- Able to apply technical skills in a team leadership role to resolve and manage complex issues in relation to development policy.
- Able to apply advanced knowledge of statistics and/or econometrics in economic research and analysis.
- Able to use technical expertise to advise and support developing member countries (DMCs) in conducting economic and policy analyses.
- Has a high level of understanding of the needs of key clients in DMCs (e.g. ADB Headquarters, government agencies of DMCs, other international organizations, think tanks, private sector parties, NGOs).
- Applies highly developed skills to support internal and external client groups.
- Seeks feedback from clients on the effectiveness of support provided.
- Focuses on achieving work-related deadlines to meet the expected results of the Department.
- Regularly monitors the progress of work assignments to meet performance targets on time.
- Prioritizes work to achieve maximum results.
- Develops team working skills of reporting staff.
- Motivates the team to work effectively, inclusively and respectfully together and with others outside the team.
- Works cooperatively with ADB Headquarters and other ADBI staff to resolve difficulties and conflicts in relation to priority areas and strategies.
Learning and knowledge sharing
- Develops innovative processes with staff for knowledge and information sharing.
- Empowers staff under supervision to make continuous improvements.
- Encourages the team to share their learning and knowledge.
- A university degree in Economics, finance at the Ph.D. or equivalent level.
- Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level.
- At least 6 years (or 10 years for a Senior position) of relevant professional experience in academia, think tanks, central banks, governmental or international institutions.
- Evidence of high quality research output and track record of high quality publications in international professional journals that contribute to the debate on macroeconomic policy in developing and emerging market economies.
- international recognition of your research as evidenced, for instance, by presentations at high-level conferences and citations of your work;
- Strong quantitative, analytical and conceptual skills in economics.
- Demonstrated expertise in conducting applied economic research and analysis relating to development issues and policy in developing and emerging economies.
- Demonstrated ability to manage research projects to coordinate multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary teams of researchers and manage conferences.
- Knowledge of social and economic development issues facing ADB's developing member countries.
- Strong diplomatic skills to interact with senior officials, ADB member countries, and representatives from other international agencies, private sector, and civil society.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, the ability to present research results in non-technical terms
- Experience in working in a leading national/regional/international think tank or similar institution is desirable.
- Experience and interest in ICT, blogs, Knowledge management and results-based management.
- Experience in working in several ADB DMCs is desirable.
Immediate reporting relationships
Supervisor: Vice Chair of Research - Work planning, performance feedback and results assessment.
This is a fixed term staff position based in Tokyo for an initial term of 3 years. At the ADBI's sole option, the appointment may be extended for a further fixed term (generally up to 2 years). Conversion into a regular indefinite appointment is precluded. A fixed term appointment will automatically and without prior notice expire at the end of the original or extended term.
ADBI offers an internationally competitive compensation package based in US dollars (paid in Japanese yen). Salaries and expatriate benefits are generally free of tax except for citizens of some countries.
Applicants must be nationals of an Asian Development Bank member economy.
Applicants are invited to apply online. Please attach a cover message, CV, and Personal History Form.
Applications should be submitted no later than 27 November 2023 at 5:00pm Tokyo time.
Upon submission, please wait for your application to load. Once completed, you will be redirected to a thank you page. Do not submit your application multiple times.
Women are encouraged to apply.
No telephone or e-mail submissions.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.