Call for Papers on High-Speed Rail, Equity, and Inclusion
High-Speed Rail, Equity, and Inclusion
Asian Development Bank Institute (ADBI)
The socioeconomic impacts of high-speed rail (HSR) systems are important considerations for policy makers when planning new lines, assessing their feasibility, and identifying financing sources. However, little attention is paid to their effects on equity, outside of studies of facilities and services access and economic development. Greater focus on HSR and equity issues by governments could help to advance solutions that reduce the negative effects of new projects in favor of more inclusive development.
ADBI is seeking high-quality original, unpublished research papers featuring qualitative and quantitative analyses, case studies, and policy insights on the impacts of HSR on equity, to be presented at a related conference. Selected papers will be considered for inclusion in a special issue of the journal Sustainability. Papers focused on Asia and the Pacific and country-level research are welcomed, particularly those from experts in academia, industry, and the public sector that can help to promote more informed HSR policy and investment decisions. Paper topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- HSR systems and equity for sustainability
- Socioeconomic profile of HSR users
- Factors deterring non-HSR users from choosing HSR as an alternative transport mode
- Policies and governance to make HSR more safe, inclusive, and sustainable
- Mechanisms and investments in affordable HSR systems
- HSR growth’s effects on wellbeing, tourism, and economic development
- Other related topics
Submissions are welcome irrespective of authors’ racial, ethnic, religious, and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation, or disabilities. Women and residents of Asian Development Bank (ADB) developing member countries are highly encouraged to submit.
Arrangements for Selected Papers
Authors of accepted papers will be invited to present their work during a related conference, after the publication of the journal special issue. The conference date and venue will be announced later. Should an on-site conference be possible, ADBI will cover the flight and hotel costs for one author from an ADB developing member country per accepted paper. The conference will be held virtually in the event of COVID-19 travel disruptions.
ADBI will support the Author Processing Fees for papers accepted for inclusion in the special issue.
Project Organizing Committee
- KE Seetha Ram, Senior Consulting Specialist for Capacity Building and Training Projects, ADBI and Visiting Professor, University of Tokyo
- Francesca Pagliara, Associate Professor, Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering, University of Naples Federico II
- Yoshitsugu Hayashi, Professor, Chubu University and Former President, World Conference on Transport Research Society
- Shreyas Bharule, LocationMind, Tokyo
- Nikhil Bulgalia, Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Veronica Ern Hui Wee, Capacity Building and Training Associate, ADBI
Inquiries may be directed to Veronica Wee.